Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulation of capacitance between 2 electrodes with Comsol

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrf

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
comsol capacitance

I am trying to simulate a simple structure with Comsol (already saying that I am very very new to the tool): 2 conductive electrodes, one orthogonal to each other, with dielectric in between. I want to have a figure of how much capacitance there is between the 2 electrodes.
I have tried to use Comsol Multiphysics->Electromagnetism->Electrostatics in 3D since I need to define thicknesses and overlaps. The issue though is in the gap, i.e. in zones A, B, C and D in the attached picture, where I think I need to add extra dielectric in the z dimension, making the drawing more troublesome. Is that right? the structure is, in the z dimension looking into the screen, electrode1, then the dielectric and then electrode2 respectively.

After solving the mesh I can show streamlines showing the sort of behaviour of the capacitance, but from that I do not know how to get a quantitative result. Maybe the integrating tool under postprocessing?

Is this approach alright or should I use another model library of Comsol? or even another tool maybe simpler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back