Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What FPGA to use for logic analyzer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davorin

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good evening (o;

Can someone recommend an easy to use and cheap FPGA to be used
as a logic analyzer with on-chip RAM for capturing data? Should at
least go up to 150/250MHz sample rate (or maybe two devices
capturing at 180 degree phase for double the rate).

The final design is an add-on board for older compact Mac's and the
waveforms are displayed on the built-in monitor (sort of cheap
LeCroy scope ;o).

Also the design software should be freely available (like Altera/ISE webpack etc.).

Altera's cyclone or Xilinx spartan IIE device is recommendded. It depened on what kind of interface for your old Mac? Is it PCI?, 5V or 3.3V? You must need external pipeline SRAM to store sample data.

- Sample rate determines FPGA & SRAM speed
- Sample size determines SRAM size
- No. of channel deternines FPGA I/O
- Interface slot determines I/O voltage and size of interface logic.

The Mac is running off 5V 68030 CPU. So I need a 5 <-> 3V3 converter anyway. Maybe cheap CPLD for that since I can easily use smaller bus width instead of full 32 bits.

Also I was thinking of using FPGA internal RAM blocks for speed reason and using this as ring buffer.

Sample rate should be at least 200MHz. Maybe some FPGA can do internal RAM write clocks with inverted clock phase and double the rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back