Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IIP3s are different on left and right side of LO frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

bageduke

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We have tested out chip, but found out that IIP3 value measured on + side is much lower than - side.

I couldn't figure out what cause this. From mathematical view, they should be same. Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me?

Thanks,

Re: IIP3s are different on left and right side of LO frequen

If an amplifier gets imbalance between IMD products, the amplifier exhibits so named “memory effect”, which is cause by a lag between AM-AM and AM-PM characteristics.
Generally this is due to a poor bias decoupling at low frequencies causing a distortion of the envelope currents which result in IMD asymmetry.

Reactions: BigBoss

bageduke

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

BigBoss

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

vfone said:
If an amplifier gets imbalance between IMD products, the amplifier exhibits so named “memory effect”, which is cause by a lag between AM-AM and AM-PM characteristics.
Generally this is due to a poor bias decoupling at low frequencies causing a distortion of the envelope currents which result in IMD asymmetry.

Thanks, vfone,

Can you explain it a little bit more, or do you have some paper regarding this issue. I am so glad that you know the answer of this.

Thanks a lot.

Just wondering if you tested this at many frequencies across the AMP's Bandwidth.
You might be on the edge of a filter for example...

Element_115 said:
Just wondering if you tested this at many frequencies across the AMP's Bandwidth.
You might be on the edge of a filter for example...

Yes, I tested it across the whole band - actually, the receiver is designed for wide band - it exhibits the same behavior, but the differences between left side and right side are different across the band.

hi, now I encounter the same problem. Anyone can tell me how to get the proper IIP3 values according to the measured results with the imbalance between IMD products? Thanks a lot!!!

Thanks for tony_lth! But is there any reason to select the worse IM3? Say, Why not select the average value of the two IM3?

Such as for PA IM3, the spectrum from PA must meet the requirement of MASK. The worse IM3 maybe break the MASK, but the better one maybe not. At this situation, the left spectrum and the right one can't be averaged. So the IM3 should select the worse one.

OK, I catch you. Thank you, tony!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back