Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Linux is best than others and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
redhat recommended for system admins, continues by open community as fedora
debian formal distro of the gnu
Mandrakes(my favourite) cares much for packages
SuSE sooooooooooo splendid!!!
Slackware the professionals favorite
gentoo programmer's favorite, very customisable
disrowatch.com
and have a look at the live cds at
https://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

hi,

if you thinking installing dual boot os (win and linux) for study or research purposed. you may try to installed linux emulation on win cause it much more like weight, easy (you don;t need to repartition).

try cygwin or winaxe.

wisely

I already intalled the IC50 under redhat8.0.
It very nice!

I think REDHAT may be the most appropriate platform, since most of the eda tool venders claims that they support REDHAT. instead other linux definitely. As far as the version , the RHEL is more stable , but you should affirm the eda tools support them.

Hi,
I have been working on Linux Red Hat 7.3 and 9.0
Both of them are good. With 9.0 you have very less s/w compatibly ..with 7.3 no issues though.

Gold_kiss

Hi,
Do you test Suse 9.1 and 9.2 ?
What about Fedora 3 and Redhat 11 ?

Why not try CentOS3.3?
It's a free rebulid version of RHEL3.
I have installed DC,PC,PT......2004.06, IUS,Encounter on it. Only specman elite4.0.1 need to code a simple shared library,and specman elite4.0.5 correct the bug.

I think it's the best choice now!

I install IC5 on rh7.3

I am doing FPGA designs with Synplify & Xilinx tools. I converted the compilation machines at work to Linux. This proved to be a very good move. But unlike most of the poeple, I converted them to be remotely usable text only.

We are designing huge systems and as FPGA tools today demands a lot of CPU and memory, graphical environment would only slow down compile time.

For this, I am using the good old Slackware distro. I have to say that I like this one more than all the others because it does not have anything superfluous; no candy, just bare system tools. I want the CPU for my applications, not for any other helper software or any daemon that I don't need.

My opinion / experience.

tcn

I use gentoo free distribution
www.gentoo.org

Difficult installation compared with other distributions but the major advantage is a very easy system to update and install package.

But it's a source distribution and you have to compile apps.
Now binaries are also avaible.

I use redhat7.3,for many people say that redhat can be installed easily.

I feel redhat 8 is the best all the free tools are easily available for it.

There are many people tell me that Debain is very good

Slackware is the best, because only changing a few file in /etc you can controll the system. Also KDE provides GUI control for slackware like mandrake.
Slapt-get and swaret provides apt-get function of debion for packages management.

Bilgin

Whatever distribution it might be.,but it is difficult to install new software on linux systems.Th problem is due to incompatibility of library files.I used Red Hat 9.0 and SUSE9.1 and found that the add remove program of YAST in SUSE makes life easier.
I haven't tried the latest distros yet.

regards.

I've installed fedora 4 core (basically redhat) on several machines. It has worked quite well so far. The installation went pretty seamlessly (though 4 cdroms means its not fast). I've used a number of redhat and slackware distributions and this is the closest to "ready for prime time" I've seen. Compatibility seems good - basicially, anything that runs on RH9, will run here.

I also use webmin to manage these machines. It's got it's issues but I've become a real fan. Very easy to use and supports a lot of software. Remote install of RPMs works like a charm. Very good for managing networked machines. I haven't physically touched several of the machines in a month.

The biggest downside of fedora 4 core is downloading 5 ISO CD images. Once you get them, then you just burn them to a CDR and you are good to go. One small glitch I encountered was you have to turn off DMA for the initial install boot (via a command line switch but DMA is fine after that).

Phil

None of them. Try Debian Sarge DVD edition.

I have used a great many distributions over the years (Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, etc etc) I have recently discovered Ubuntu, a new and fast rising Ditro. It is the slickest and best I have tried. I would say that more work has been put into Ubuntu than any other Desktop Linux. If you are not sure which one to try, take a look at this one.

Sean

PS it is Debian based so it has the great apt system and a huge software base.

Status
Not open for further replies.