Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Linux is best than others and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gezzas525 said:
Of coarse then I hear SOLARIS 10 is on the way for Opteron 64-bit, as far as EDA support, is it better to port SOLARIS (SPARC) EDA tools to SOLARIS (Opteron 64) or SOLARIS (SPARC) EDA tools to Linux(x86).

KLEOS

You are confused, my friend! Currently most EDA software supported on 3 Platform , HP-UX, Linux and Solaris. Solaris here means a Sun machine using Solaris OS, it doesn't mean a AMD or Intell CPU using Solaris OS. It won't work. Remember different CPU and different OS have different machine language which require different compiler. The code written for a specific CPU architecture and a specific OSdoesn't alway work perfectly with other similiar family. Follow the instruction from release note. otherwise you will get in trouble later. I remember when my company first bought a Sun Blade, the Hspice program even don't work perfect on it. It work perfectly on Ultra Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 60.

mariaR said:
gezzas525 said:
Of coarse then I hear SOLARIS 10 is on the way for Opteron 64-bit, as far as EDA support, is it better to port SOLARIS (SPARC) EDA tools to SOLARIS (Opteron 64) or SOLARIS (SPARC) EDA tools to Linux(x86).

KLEOS

You are confused, my friend! Currently most EDA software supported on 3 Platform , HP-UX, Linux and Solaris. Solaris here means a Sun machine using Solaris OS, it doesn't mean a AMD or Intell CPU using Solaris OS. It won't work. Remember different CPU and different OS have different machine language which require different compiler. The code written for a specific CPU architecture and a specific OSdoesn't alway work perfectly with other similiar family. Follow the instruction from release note. otherwise you will get in trouble later. I remember when my company first bought a Sun Blade, the Hspice program even don't work perfect on it. It work perfectly on Ultra Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 60.

Iam aware of that, i was just saying to which platform would porting be easier/faster. Assuming the 32-bit programs finish getting ported to linux, then what next. For the 64-bit programs would it be an Opteron running Solaris 10 or an Opteron running 64-bit LINUX. Leaving the SPARC machines for the workplace and forget about Itanium.

Cadence has just released stuff for AMD64, look for a previous post.

Iam aware of that said:
Please tell me, is there any EDA application running on your stupid Opteron and 64 bit Linux.

Safe game is Linux 7.3 on any decent systems

why is it stuipid, well?
Its the fastest x86 machine, and with 64-bit apps for LINUX on the way its gona be a good platform to work with. Not everyone wants to run redhat 7.2 most people cant as they have newer hardware so thier stuck with a distribution that is not supported. Unless you have $15k-20k to spend on a SUN machine (even then the performance is poor, if its a single machines) in order for you to work at home then well thats up to you. Opteron is gaining user demand from engineers alike and pushing the EDA companies to port thier software, Itanium never had this its been nearly a decade since it was released and theres barely half a dozen EDA tools for it and absolutly no user demand.

So the Opteron is STUIPID!!

gezzas525 said:
why is it stuipid, well?
Its the fastest x86 machine, and with 64-bit apps for LINUX on the way its gona be a good platform to work with. Not everyone wants to run redhat 7.2 most people cant as they have newer hardware so thier stuck with a distribution that is not supported. Unless you have $15k-20k to spend on a SUN machine (even then the performance is poor, if its a single machines) in order for you to work at home then well thats up to you. Opteron is gaining user demand from engineers alike and pushing the EDA companies to port thier software, Itanium never had this its been nearly a decade since it was released and theres barely half a dozen EDA tools for it and absolutly no user demand.

So the Opteron is STUIPID!!

What's good for a fast machine and an advance OS without application? Think about the number of EDA tool run on your propsed machine.
Think again.

applications are on the way dude.

REDHAT 7.2 is the best version.

AND were getting Solaris 10 for Opteron, screw ITANIUM, hope INTEL scraps it and starts again thats the ONLY solution.

I have install ic5.0,dc , ldv in debain,the speed of
debain is quickly,i like it.

red hat linux 7.2 is the most stable platform for eda tools ...to run on...

When you use RH 9 or RH AS 3 for the EDA, try set export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
then it will solve some problems.
good luck

I tested RD 7.2/8.0/9.0, SUSE and Lycoris. Finally, I keep the Lycoris. Although Lycoris is not popular as RD,SUE, it provide the basic function and network support for windows. Try it and you will like it.

i think the best choise is Red Hat Linux ver. 7-9, or maybe SuSe 8. :)this also maybe.ψ

Linux is a protable system.... what u need to ask is whick Linux KERNEL is better, which one is more stable than the others...

amarnath said:
red hat linux 7.2 is the most stable platform for eda tools ...to run on...

Hi

Officially , yes
Actually, No

The lack of hardware support in Redhat 7.x is a major poor factor.

I suggest you to use Mandrake 9.2 (kernel 2.4.22)
Note: Redhat 7.2 is with linux kernel 2.4.7

tnx

Added after 4 minutes:

Hi

Currently please do not use mandrake 10.1 for EDA Tools.
It uses the new coming kernel 2.6.X.

Who knows, perhaps in the mid of 2005 great EDA vendors try to port to new kernel (2.6)!!

tnx

The Kernel 2.6 will not be supported by EDA Venders in the mid of 2005. RHEL3 is the dominating linux OS for most eda tools.

I like RH7.3, because the performance is the best.

Many replies say RH7.3 is the best. Why not considering the later version of RH ( e.g. RH9) ? Any reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.