Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Linux is best than others and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

verilog_crack

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
What you think about this
1 ) SUSE 9.0
2 ) REDHAT 9.0
3 ) REDHAT 8.0
4 ) SUSE 8.0
5 ) REDHAT 7.3
6 ) REDHAT 7.2
7 ) MANDRAKE 9.1
8 ) MANDRAKE 9.0

Which of them is better than others and why or
Which of them is best for special purpose and why?
Regards

Some (Redhat, SUSE) are 'commercial' distributions
Mandrake is basically a Redhat distribution but more community driven

SUSE is popular in Europe
Redhat is popular in the US

Remember: Linux is the kernel and all distributions have the same kernel (usually tweaked, but the source is the same.) The distribution is what is distributed with the kernel (software etc.) Different distributions also have different tools packaged with them to make your administration easier eg. Redhat has Control Centre and SUSE has YAST2.

Bottom line: you must decide which distribution suits you. Also keep in mind that certain ISV's eg. Oracle only officially support their products on SUSE Enterprise and REDHAT Advanced Server.

most eda tools are developed on redhat.

I have install ic5.0,dc , ldv in debain,the speed of
debain is quickly,i like it.

it is the kernel version that is matter and also the glibc. some s/w can't really work with the latest kernel. unless u can get the source of the s/w then any kernel version would not be matter at all.

z81203 said:
But what version of it is better? for example ldv5 works on redhad 7.3 but what about others?

it's means ldv5 tested with rh7.3. it's work stable.
i heard syn0p$ys just test their software with rh9.0.
i try some tools on mandrake9.0 & fedora1.0. mandrake9.0 can work well. fedaro1.0 have some problem, but still work.

I have try to use "ldd" to see the eda soft use which
glib library,I think the question is the change of dynamic lib ,if the glib version is deferent ,then the edasoftware may can't find what lib it need.

verilog_crack said:
z81203 said:
But what version of it is better? for example ldv5 works on redhad 7.3 but what about others?

According to the info from EDA companies, RH7,3 is the most supported flatform at this moment.

I'm using Slackware (4 years).
currently - Slack 9.1

gerryhsu said:
verilog_crack said:
z81203 said:

According to the info from EDA companies, RH7,3 is the most supported flatform at this moment.

moreover, it is the best for developers from my trials with different linux
dist.

regards
meshmesh

Mandrake 9.1 is better.

I personally prefer Mandrake 9.1 ... many of the wizards and tools make your life easier and save you ALOT of time. Which are propietary to mandrake. also, as someone stated before, mandrake is redhat compatible , so if a program is run and tested on Red Hat, it will most likely work under mandrake without any problems, including RPMs I personally think that when you switch to an operating system, the goal is to be more productive, not to break your head trying to find out how the system works (for those command line lovers, I know the power relies in the command line, but getting the job done on time is even better) . :p

When you use RH 9 or RH AS 3 for the EDA, try set export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
then it will solve some problems.
good luck

i have seen Slackware and i think it has the fastest insyallation i have ever seen (about 12 minutes) but i have not tried any EDA tool yet

ive installed mandrake 9.2 PP and currently iam running FPGA Adv 6.2, it is stable. It also feels more snappy and responsive.

Redhat 8 seems to lag slightly and feel sluggish, and RH9 ive been told is worse.

Depending of whats going to happen eith Redhat, the ideal distribution (reliability/stability/compatability) will no doubt be the WS version for workstations and homeusers unfortunetly I cant afford $180 now expecially without a job and finishing a masters degree.

Of coarse then I hear SOLARIS 10 is on the way for Opteron 64-bit, as far as EDA support, is it better to port SOLARIS (SPARC) EDA tools to SOLARIS (Opteron 64) or SOLARIS (SPARC) EDA tools to Linux(x86).

Iam thinking SPARC to Opteron ports will be faster but then people have LINUX.

This year will be interesting, SUN is doing worse and worse as they just reported a bigger loss than last year (and there machines are 1/2 price!!!). They need to get their act togethor and bring out something inovative.

KLEOS

Status
Not open for further replies.