Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help on inductor simulation in ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardolphinaries

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ads inductor simulation

Hi,
I am doing inductor design in ADS and met a problem.

I intended to design an inductor with patterned ground shield on polysilicon layer.
However, I don't know how to connet this shield to ground? Generally two internal ports are connected to the two ends of spiral inductor. And I draw the shield on poly layer. What else I should do?

Thanks for information.

ads inductor

any body did similar design before? I really need some help. Thanks a lot.

This shield generally consists of polysilicon and shouldbe connected to the ground by adding PO-M1 contact and M1 should be tied to the system ground.

Put single ended ports at metallic layer for each node including shielding port and simulate it.You will have 3 ports devices in simulation tesbench.In this testbench, connect associated shielding port directly to the ground or use an equivalent circuit that will represent metallic connection between your shield and real ground.

Connect one of the live port to the ground and make a simulation to find input impedance of the coil.Other live port will be used as observation port in the simulation.

Imaginary part of the this impedancewill be inductance, real part will represent series resistance.

By this way, you can find Q factor..

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation.

According to your reply, I need to create a symbol for the inductor layout and simulate this in the schematic window, is that what you mean?

However, can I simulate this in the layout window? I mean, what is 'ground' in layout window?

The momentum manual from Agilent said that the 'GND' is not recognized by momentum. Instead, seems that there is a kind of port called 'ground reference'.

Is this the one need to be used? I did try this, but seems doesn't work.

Have you met this before? Thanks a lot.

By the way, the 'live port' is one of the inductor ends, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back