Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potentiometer not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradium

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
clipsal 32v400

Hi Guys

I have spent the best part of 1/2 day looking in Australia for a 500k B 16mm potentiometer to no avail. It is used on the control of the primary in the transformer of my (Surchlor 2000) pool chlorinator. The manufacturer (PoolRite) has used a commercial dimmer control that I have been unable to identify.

Details on side of controller

L.E.A.
LITE CONTROL
450 WATTS
CAT.No.LC5 240V AC

The carbon track on the potentiometer in the control has a chip out of it and must be replaced.
I have a Clipsal ceiling Fan controller that I though I could use in its place.

No. 32v400
250v 1.6A 400VA

I can get a 1M B 16mm potentiometer or give this fan controller a go.

Do you think I could do some damage with the fan controller?

Regards

Brad

There is a few possibilities...
1- If the chipped carbon track does not go fully across, the wiper can be bent to track a healthy part of the carbon. Takes skilled hands, but done it successfully several times.
2- Visit a TV/whatever service center, they may have an used equivalent transplantable potentiometer.
3- Visit in person part stores, same reason.
4- Use your fan controller or a plain 600W+ light dimmer, it may well work, I do not see risk of damaging the chlorinator.

Hi,
And if the above suggestions do not work out and if you do not mind paying little extra price, look for RS Components, they have most of the items made in the world so far!!!

Regards,
Laktronics

Thanks for the info guys

I ended up going down to Jaycar electronics and got the 16mm 1M. Also bought the 24mm 500k and a 500k trimpot just in case.

The guy there had the same problem for his guitar and had to get his from the States. Small world hey?

In the end I went for the 1M. It was less work overall to install it as it fitted in the dimmer case and it works just fine. I am now happily producing chlorine and the pool will stay blue.

Thanks for the advice.

Brad
Brisbane Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.