Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to calculate the input impedance of this circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katrin

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
calculating input impedance

Now I want to calculate the input impedance of a circuit, the input signal is a current signal, the circuit's input is composed of a complementary PMOS and NMOS common gate amplifier(M1 and M3)

M2, R2 and M4, R4 provide constant voltage bias for M1 and M3

If I want to do detailed analysis of input impedance, Vin/Iin, in other words, to derive the relation between Vin/Iin and the circuits parameters such like Gm, rds....

I think mainly I should consider about M1 and M3, but I am not sure if I can neglect the other components in the calculation.

I hope someone who is familiar with circuits analysis can help me with that, thanks.

calculate input impedance

Hi,

If u can use spice then do AC analysis by connecting a AC current source at your inputs. Do frequency sweep. Normally your ac current source will be 1 A. so voltage at your input port is nothing but the effective small signal impedance seen at your input port.

This value will be much accurate than any other.

Thanks,

katrin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
input impedance calculation

For hand calculations you should consider M1, M3 and also R1 and R3; you will be able to neglect certain things depending on their values. The complete expression will be given by:

vin/iin = ((ro3+R3)/(1+gm3*ro3))||((ro1+R1)/(1+gm1*ro1))

if gm*ro<<1

vin/iin = (1/gm3+R3/(gm3*ro3))||(1/gm1+R1/(gm1*ro1))

Depending on the ration R/ro you will be able to neglect (or not) other terms.

Hope this helps,

diemilio

katrin

how to calculate impedance

you didnt specify where the source of the transistor is. I am assuming the input port is connected to M1 and M3's source. In that case, your input impedance should be very small ( ~ 1/gm)

katrin

how to calculate input resistance

ytliang said:
you didnt specify where the source of the transistor is. I am assuming the input port is connected to M1 and M3's source. In that case, your input impedance should be very small ( ~ 1/gm)

As as mention before, this is true only if you can neglect the R/(gm*ro) term. If you can do this, then your impedance is NOT 1/gm, but (1/gm1)||(1/gm3), which (if your transistors are ratioed 2:1) will be 1/(2*gm)

diemilio

katrin

can we find the input impedance of a cro from its minimum ferquncy and volteg value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back