Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does post-layout simulation make design more accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsinghua

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
assura post-layout simulations

In my mixer design at 2.4 GHz, the input matching of the RF port is very good during pre-layout simulation. After the layout is finished, I used Assura to extract parasitic RC and generate extracted view. The post-layout simulation shows that the input matching of the RF port deteriorates. Simple layout modification does not improve the input matching. Should I change the schematic design according to the post-layout simulation results? Or do something to the layout?

rf post layout simulation

My opinion would be to fix the layout.

I think you should change the layout to get it working, but first make sure the extractor is working well (it extracts the parasitics correct). I have seen some extraction deck files of assura with nonsense parasitics. Sme thing like the value of a capacitance between metal1 to substrate being lower than a capacitance of metal5 to substrate.

Generate first a testbench to check the most important parasitics.

bastos

YEs, improve the layout. At high frequencies you don't have to rely only on the pre-layout simulations.

When there is great different between the pre-simulation and post-simulation, which could doubt among the circuit design, layout design, and the models? 8)

Reactions: deexth

deexth

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Youi should consider the parasitic effect during circuit design first. After layout is finished, you should back-annotate the real parasitic value into your circuit for post-layout verification. Some fine-tuning and iterations between circuit & layout is necessary.
If possible, some metal option should be reserved on layout just in case the models provided by foundary vendor is not accurate enough.

Hop it helps : )

First of all, you should find which parasitic or secondary effect deteriorate your matching. Then you should consider that effect and re-design your circuit. besides based on your approach for layout, you can give better parasitic capacitance model to your simulator during pre-layout simulation. After another pre-layout simulation do post-layout simulation. You will find that your second post-layout simulation has better results. If you repeat this loop more , you will get very good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back