Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WTK. Powering a "high power" relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestroke

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
WTK. Powering a relay

I am currently trying to use an output signal from a microcontroller to activate the coils in a high power relay, but the microcontroller output is too weak to switch on the coils. What can i use to get the relay to switch on? Its a arduino microcontroller, and so far using transistors or smaller relays to switch on the larger are all I have in mind., but i dont want to do either. is there some kind of IC that i could use that utilises an external power supply to activate the coils?

Re: WTK. Powering a relay

yes their are are IC s that do this...

..just like you get stepper motor drivers......steper drivers are basically just switching the coils of a motor instedd of a relay.

maybe a stepper driver is what will do it for you...i think they have flybakk diodes in them too

i suppose you dont want to do it with a transistor cuzz you need a series resistor, grounding resistor, etc etc....in other words , youre after low compoent count ?

what about a MOSFET driver such as the 4426 4427 4428 family....mind you they dont have the flyback diode

Status
Not open for further replies.