Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

edge-mounting connector for 25mil Roger 6010 board

Status
Not open for further replies.

antenna_abc

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
roger 6010

Hi, I have a question about the edge-mounting connector for 25 mil roger 6010 board.

Since the 50 ohm microstrip line width is about 0.6mm, it seems the pads for the single pin of connector should be larger than the microstrip line width. However, I found that in the HFSS simulation, the wider the signal pin pad, the higher insertion loss and VSWR. And my best simulation insertion loss is about 0.7 dB and VSWR is 1.7 at 7~8 GHz.

My question is that is it the real-world case for the edge-mounting connector? How can I do to lower the VSWR and insertion loss?

Thanks.

Please do not use pads. This line width is sufficient to make a contact with SMA when soldered. You can choose the custom SMA connector if required.

As mentioned, you should use a connector launching straight on the board's microstripline.
I use SMA and even N connectors with the center pin being a flat conductor to be soldered straight on the PCB trace. You can find these connectors with strips of different widths that you shoud choose one that best fits on your circuit.

NandoPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back