Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

p Channel MOSFET driving 48 RGB LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

[H]ackerK

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
driving p channel mosfet

Thread started here -> (see the last few posts)

I am happy to report, the IRF9520 can drive 48 LEDs and not a problem at all. (no heat sink required)

However now, I think it is all my crappy brick powersupply, which is junk. All 3 of them I have tried say 5V 2A, 2.5A, 3A... Yea right! When I have all RGB on, voltage dropped to 3.4V!! And to my surprise the current is only about 340mA!

I think I need a "REAL" powersupply can can do steady 5V. Maybe I will hook up to my PC powersupply and do some test.

Now my question is how much voltage drop am I suppose to expect from the MOSFET?

When I did my simple test with 8 LEDs, the voltage drop from Source to Drain is less than 0.1V. So I said hey this is cool. But after I hook up 48 LEDs, the voltage drop between S & D seems to be larger, if I recall it was about 0.3-0.4V.. Is this normal?

BTW the MOSFET is not even warm. Which I guess that's good.

mosfet driving

The IRF9520 is an "ordinary" Mosfet that needs 10V from source to gate to fully turn on. It is spec'd with a max threshold voltage of 4.0V when its current is a minimum of only 0.25mA.
Some of them have a threshold voltage of 2.0V.

If your gate voltage is only 5V then use a "logic level" Mosfet.

48 channel rgb led

Hi Audioguru.

I am not 100% sure what you mean by "logic level" MOSFET. I did some google last night but not much useful info was found. I did re-read the spec sheets for IRF9520 and I don't see anywhere (or I misunderstood the graphs) about "10V from source to gate to fully turn on"

I have the circuit build on breadboard already, and I really need to start putting the circuit onto a circuitboard ASAP. As I will need this LED lighting by this Sat. For what I have now, it is pretty bright, but not as bright as it suppose to be (i.e. not 20mA for each LED)

I don't know if it is as simple as just "swapping out" the IF9520 with another p-ch MOSFET. If so, wonder if you have any suggestion on P/N.

Here are some numbers

Vsource = 5V
Vgate = 0-5V
Idrain = 48 x 20mA (planned to drive 48LEDs @ 20mA each)

The current limit resistor I have, (drain -> resistor -> LED -> Gnd) is based on 5V @ drain.

I hope it is just as simple as replacing the MOSFET instead of re-do 144 resistors.

Thanks

p mosfet rgb

The IRF9520 is an "ordinary" P-channel Mosfet. Its RDS(on) is spec'd only when its gate-to-source voltage is 10V. Most barely turn on when the gate-to-source voltage is only 5V.

You need a 'logic-level" Mosfet. They completely turn on and are spec'd when the gaste-to-source voltage is only 4.5V.

I have used logic-level N-channel Mosfets but never a P-channel one. There are many available. Select one with a voltage rating less than 100V and it will turn on better.

mosfet rgb

Audioguru said:
The IRF9520 is an "ordinary" P-channel Mosfet. Its RDS(on) is spec'd only when its gate-to-source voltage is 10V. Most barely turn on when the gate-to-source voltage is only 5V.

You need a 'logic-level" Mosfet. They completely turn on and are spec'd when the gaste-to-source voltage is only 4.5V.

I have used logic-level N-channel Mosfets but never a P-channel one. There are many available. Select one with a voltage rating less than 100V and it will turn on better.

Do you have any suggestion on Part Number?

Status
Not open for further replies.