Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why 200 ohm is used in ESD protection circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhlbluesky

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
why 200 ohm?

in ESD protect circuit,why 200 ohm resistor is used?i mean,why is it not any other value,such as 1K,10 ohm etc.is there any reasons?

Re: why 200 ohm?

There is no rule to use 200 ohm. Your circuit has it, but it may be any other value.
It's a tradeoff between the advantages of
- a high resistance (force a very low current in case a ESD voltage spike enters)
- a low resistance (not too much voltage drop during its normal use)

In your case the designer made the tradeoff at 200 ohms for that particular circuit usage.

Vomit is right regarding the trade-off. Higher resistance can increase ESD robustness... BUT be sure to provide primary protection path for the ESD current. A resistor alone will not protect against ESD! A large resistor will ensure that ESD current searches for shunt paths with lower impedance.

Many leading foundries ask for a 200 ohm resistor between the bondpad and the sensitive (IO) circuits. Maybe this is where this value is coming from?

However high resistance at the pad reduces functional performance: speed and output voltage are reduced.

I would like to add something;

except what's said above, I think that the protection for CDM is need to be

considerated;if the resistor is too huge, then the second protectin for CDM will be

damaged

thanks, learns a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back