Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use Bias Tee in a reverse way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrojas

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
leds bias tee

Can I use a bias tee in a reverse way? This device is usually employed to add a DC bias to an AC signal, but suppose that I have an AC signal with a DC level...Can I put this into the output of the bias tee and separate the AC and DC components?

Thanks

[/img]

led biasing in ac line

Yes it should work backwards (sort of) it will be like spliiting a DC line you will receive DC power on both lines. but you will be able to tap into the DC power with out disturbing the AC line in this method.

The only way to rid the line of the DC power is to us a capacitor.

Hope this helps,
B

bias tee tap

Sure can.

One problem you might run into is if the signal has a lot of bursty information on it. The ac coupled output signal may move up and down in DC level (i.e. not stay at zero volts dc) in the short term.

Bias Tee application

No that is not correct it will never be at zero volts.

It will always be at the voltage that is on the line that you are trying to pick off.

Here is an example, Put +5 volts on a wire, now split that wire into two wires and on one wire put a LED (something to draw power) now measure the other line there will still be 5 volts on that line.

in this case the LED will is where the DC bias is taken off the line (usually with an fan out) and the AC line is the line you measure.

The AC line will have +5 volts on and so will the DC bias line.

The only way to make this work with having only AC on one line and only DC on the other is to put a DC block (a capacitor) on the AC line right after the DC bias tap (usually a fan out)

Re: Bias Tee application

Hi

There is 0.1 uF capacitor in this schematic, I realy don't see any reason why this cannot work in the oposite sence?

flyhigh

Re: Bias Tee application

"No that is not correct it will never be at zero volts. "

?

So, you are saying that the port labeled "AC" will have DC volts on it?

Don't bogart that joint, my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back