Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

embedded FreeBSD vs. embedded Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttspice

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
embedded freebsd vs linux

Hi,

Does anybody know which one is better to implement for a network switching system? espcially the stability.

thanks!

embedded linux or freebsd

FreeBSD is good for embedded system

linux is very good to. and probably easier to bring up on your hardware, because i think more ppl use it in embedded sys...

FreeBSD is more stable across version, and it has good licensing terms and free of string once your product ramps up in volume.

FreeBSD is definitely my preference.

You might consider NetBSD...

NetBSD runs on more platforms than FreeBSD...

Also the path of FreeBSD is towards production servers with 32/64 bit CPU's...

Running NetBSD on a small form factor PC as firewall and it is just great...also great is the package mechanism (also in FreeBSD).

Of course it depends what you want to do finally...

Doing some control of hardware and stuff like that then you're better off with (uC)linux...for network applications (like fw, proxy, web etc) you're running better with (Net/Free)BSD (o;

RTlinux is better fot rt sysytem

With linux I think finding/modifing drivers for net devices is easier. I done something and all gone right.

Bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back