Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"disk boot failure" appears on my new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

leunglhz

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
iso new computer

Hi,

I am building a new compute recently.

I used a new motherboard, RAM, and Hardisc.

I could enter the BIOS, and the computer could detect all devices.

It could load the motherboard disc as well.

However, an error message, "disk boot failure", appears on the screen everytime I load it with window XP CD.

The window XP was donwloaded and copied into the CD, but I could installed it on another computer.

Anyone knows the reasons for this?

Thanks

building new computer disk failure

leunglhz said:
Hi,

I am building a new compute recently.

I used a new motherboard, RAM, and Hardisc.

I could enter the BIOS, and the computer could detect all devices.

It could load the motherboard disc as well.

However, an error message, "disk boot failure", appears on the screen everytime I load it with window XP CD.

The window XP was donwloaded and copied into the CD, but I could installed it on another computer.

Anyone knows the reasons for this?

Thanks

Have you checked the boot order in the bios. The cd drive needs to be before the hard drive in the boot order. If that's no good you probably have a bad cd drive.

my new computer boot with error

yes I have.

I talked to a friend today, and he said the reason is because the file of the XP disc is "iso", so it could not be read by the DVD Rom

I think it makes sense since the DVD ROM is able to read the motherboard disc.

But what should I do to make the XP disc readable by the DVD ROM?

Thanks

disk boot failure new computer

leunglhz said:
yes I have.

I talked to a friend today, and he said the reason is because the file of the XP disc is "iso", so it could not be read by the DVD Rom

I think it makes sense since the DVD ROM is able to read the motherboard disc.

But what should I do to make the XP disc readable by the DVD ROM?

Thanks

hi
even if the xp disc was iso , it should be read by the DVD-Rom , the only reason is the disc is not bootable and u may edit the xp iso file using any iso editor like ultera iso and add the boot sector to the disc and save it .
in this case the computer should boot from the DVD-Rom normally and u won't get the disk boot failure message .
hope this may help u solving this problem
best regards

leunglhz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
xp boot failure new motherboard

thanks,

I think that's the problem - the XP disc isn't bootable.

I will try this software "ultera".

between, when you burned the *.iso image to disc, did you write the disc as data disc or as image ?

As a check, insert this disk in a working computer ( of your friends) after it has booted. Then look at the contents. If you see a single *.iso file, then you haven't burnt the cd correctly. If you see a lof of files then you did burn it correctly.

i produced a bootable CD using "Nero".

Now I could enter the DOS enviroment, and this appears on the screen

DR-DOS] A:/

I entered setup.exe, and the followings come out

this file cannot be run in DOS

Anyone knows what the problem is?

Thanks

Hello

First you have to minimize ur system by removing all unwanted devices, and try to boot again, after successful login add other devices. Use Hirens boot CD that is a very good tool collection for Hardware man.

makri

http://www.shibuvarkala.blogspot.com

Do you have the jumpers set correctly for all drives?
i.e. master, slave???

LOL! C'mon it's like rjainv said. You burned an iso image as a file on a cdrom, you did not burn the iso image as a cdrom. It does not boot, because it is does not have a valid boot sector. An iso is called an image because it maps specific data to a specific location on the cdrom. So data in the boot sector is mapped to the boot sector. A file copy does not map, it just puts the data wherever it wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back