Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Notch Filter design for Biomedical project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal1

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
notch filter design

Hello,

I am building an ECG device for a school project and I need to incorporate a notch filter to remove the remaining noise. If anyone has any ideas as to which I.C.'s I should use please share them. I also want to install a switch so I can take the notch filter effect out if I desire

Thanks

Arsenal1

notch filter ecg

make it by using operational amplifire,or u need an ic for this thing?

bio medical project

You need to specify which frequency you want to pass and which frequency and how many dB you want to reject.

notch filter calculator

Arsenal1,
Are you sure that a notch filter is what you need? A notch filter is used for attenuating a very narrow band of frequencies (an ideal notch filter removes only one frequency, but is not realizeable). Most ECG applicastions use a high order low pass filter to suppress frequencies above the desired range. A linear phase filter is often used to preserve the waveform shape. The filter design is always a compromise between nose rejection and waveform fidelity. Also, you don't mention whether you need an analog or a digital filter. If the output of the sensor is already digitized, then it is practical to use a very high order filter. A Google search for "Notch Filter" or Low Pass Filter" will give you lots of hits.
Regards,
Kral

notch filter design for ecg

If you notch out the mains frequency of 50hz or 60Hz then the second and third harmonics at 100h, 120Hz, 150Hz or 180Hz remain quite strong.

ECG circuits use a modern instrumentation amplifier IC and an out-of-phase common mode signal is fed to the patient instead of a common ground.

Post your schematic.

biomedical project ideas

Iwasn't aware of the trick described by Audioguru of feeding an out of phase comon mode signal to the patient. Very clever! Regarding the suppression of mains fundamentals and harmonics, there are many other noise products that contaminate the ECG signal.
Regards,
Kral

biomedical project

Audioguru said:
ECG circuits use a modern instrumentation amplifier IC and an out-of-phase common mode signal is fed to the patient instead of a common ground.
Another term for this is "driven right leg" or DRL. You'll find schematics if you google these terms.

notch filter project

for notch filter design you just need some specifications like frequency ..
there is no need of adding extra opamp for that...
notch filter will be just RC network..

if again you need some amplification.. then you can go for any gain amplifier...

refer this link

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.