Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Combinational or Sequential Multipliers ?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

natg9

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sequential multipliers

Hi all

i have this doubt , as to which of the two is better in terms of area, timing ??

Combinational or Sequential Multipliers

please list out the various methods and advantages

thanks to all

combinational and sequential multiplier

Combinational multipliers are slow and take a lot of area.
Sequential multipliers are fast and take less area.
Sequential multipliers may take a number of clock cycles to produce a result. So even they can work on high frequency clock, but the latency in terms of absolute time go get an output may be more or equal to that of a combinational multiplier.
Hope it helps
Kr,
Avi

natg9

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Avimit

Now I am aware of the fact that inc combinational multipliers area is more and speed is slower then do we never use combinational multipliers i want to know this ?

i am in a project that demands higher speed so i have opted for a seq multiplier but i am not able to decide which seq multiplier will give me optimum speed

please reply pal

regards
natg

As I said the sequential mutliplier can use a number of clock cycles, it may not be the best solution always. If the numbers you want to multiply are small, then a combi multipiler is ok, as it is very easy to code, and can be written as a * sign anywhere in the code. You will hardly see a seq multiplier if 2 small numbers are being multiplied.
Kr,
avi

natg9

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Avi

ok to be specific for my case i will be building a 8X8 multiplier

so is combinational better here

thanks for the earlier replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com