Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Erasing the Programming of Locked Atmega ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
reset fuse bits atmega128

vvaalleerraa said:
No need to make a new programmer. ISP worked in the same circuit where I programmed a wrong fuse.
I agree, however some people have trouble with windows drivers. This was the reason for the DOS program, and the easiest cable to build.

erase 90s2313

HI ... I am new in the forum ... I hope somebody could help me with my issue.

I got my ATMEGA8 locked because of some misleading fuse programming, I don t remember what fuses I changed, so I was hoping the program you sent would recover it, and as I read before, it probably will

The problem is that I dont have a floppy disk drive, and I can not boot the program from the CD (I dont know why,,, It just doesn t). Does anybody have the program in a not bootable version?

Thanks for your time ...

parallel fuse programmer cable atmel fix

eandino said:
I can not boot the program from the CD (I dont know why,,, It just doesn t). Does anybody have the program in a not bootable version?

you need to go into the setup when your computer starts and change the setting in the bios to boot from the CD. It is strictly a DOS only program.

you can also use the same program that you originally used to program the avr, just install an oscillator to supply the clock to the atmega 8, then reprogram the fuses. The default fuses are: Fuse Low = 0xC1, Fuse High = 0x99

Look back on the first page of this thread, you will see a diagram with part numbers.

tiny2313 unlock

ctownsend said:
hook up an oscillator (not a crystal) to the clock line on the atmega.
(any freq, usually 4MHZ)
erase the device with your ISP program, then reprogram the CLSEL fuse.

The above works 99.99% of the time!

Good Luck

Works only when clock fuse bits are programmed wrongly..

stk500v2 usb programming atmega8

srikanthsamaga said:
Works only when clock fuse bits are programmed wrongly..

Yes that is correct. However it is impossible to disable the SPIEN fuse in ISP mode.

Unless one of the other fuses was programmed (DWEN, or RSTDISBL) the above method will always work.

If not you need a parallel programmer.

avr atmega8 cannot enter programming mode

ctownsend - it sounds like you've really helped out some folks here!
Let me explain my fun predicament, and see if you can be equally helpful to me :)

I just purchased a sensor board (gyros, accelerometers) with an on-board atmel168 chip. I've worked with micros in the past, but it was all parallax stuff. I'm not an expert, but I don't think I'm dummy either (I brought up the parallax from scratch with breadboard, crystals, and LEDs and wrote a crapload of assembly for it)

I also bought an Arduino and I plan to interface the sensor board with the Arduino. However, the code on the sensor board wasn't quite to my liking, so I wanted to update it via ISP.

I was too cheap to buy a real programmer, so I found this code to turn my arduino into a programmer - so cool! https://code.google.com/p/mega-isp/ This worked ok, but was kind of flaky - worked sometimes, not others. Of course, at some point I was programming and got a warning about my fuses not matching from AVRDude. I confirmed to have AVRDude fix it, but it just hung the board. Now when I try to read / write anything in AVRDude the chip signature is showing up as 0x000000. Incidentally, if I disconnect MISO and MOSI, I get the same behavior from AVRDude, so I'm assuming the chip on the sensor board isn't "responding" at all.

I can show you the schematic of the board I'm working with if you want, but it's a pretty simple crystal system driven by a ATMega168 connected to a 16Mhz crysal.

The pain is that this is an SMD ATMega168 - not something I can easily pop-off and reprogram, or even replace. If I de-solder one side of the crystal, modify the mega-isp Arduino program to put out a 4Mhz square wave generator on one of the pins and connect that to the xtal input on the ATMega, are you saying I can just use the same programmer I was using?

Alternately, I guess I could make your parallel port cable and use my Arduino just for the 4Mhz clock.

I'm feeling hopeful after reading this thread - I was really worried I had irreversibly damanged my sensor board, and its sounding like I have a chance to fix it!

Do you think there is a way I could reset the fuses using my Arduino, or should I go straight for the parallel port solution?

atmega128 fusebit unlock

srikanthsamaga said:
since you don't know which fuses you have set wrongly, it is better to choose parallel programmer..
Not really an easy option if the device is an smd package.

BrianKHud said:
The pain is that this is an SMD ATMega168 - not something I can easily pop-off and reprogram, or even replace.

BrianKHud said:
If I de-solder one side of the crystal, modify the mega-isp Arduino program to put out a 4Mhz square wave generator on one of the pins and connect that to the xtal input on the ATMega, are you saying I can just use the same programmer I was using?

YES, you can do it that way but I wouldn't modify the program, its easier to just use an oscillator on the xtal1 pin of your atmega, then reprogram the fuses to the default values and you are back in.

If you previously programmed the security bits you will have to erase the atmega first before reprogramming the fuses.

Now this will not work if you accidentally programmed the rstdisbl fuse or the spien fuse. In this case you will need to remove the device and use a parallel programming adapter or just replace the device (easier & cheaper)

Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck

atmega32 wont erase

Hi

It is better to used SinaProg 1.2.5.6 which has fuse byte calculator repair fuse read fuse write fuse and support all famous hardware

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

81_1239952482.jpg

87_1239952506.jpg

27_1239952539.jpg

55_1239952563.jpg

Regards
Fragrance

atmel168 pin xtal1 xtal2

I was searching on ebay for a new avr programmer and I saw this one:
**broken link removed**

atmega168 program fuses

wow .. that looks like a problem solver, if it works :)

atmega8 minimum schematic

Unable to read Device Signature with SinaProg. Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

avr fuses repair

jcarpio said:

Thanks in advance.
all that program is, is a GUI for avrdude. You will still have the windows driver problems just like always. Sinaprog worked for me on one computer but NOT on the computer I usually do my programming.

The best way to restore fuses is a High Voltage parallel programmer. Secondly, the method above will work as long as the SPIEN or the RSTDISBL fuses are not programmed.

The above method works in dos, so there are no windows driver problems. The cable is very easy to build and only needs a few parts.

I always go for the simplest solution.

timeoutsupported programmer not found

ctownsend said:
jcarpio said:

Thanks in advance.
all that program is, is a GUI for avrdude. You will still have the windows driver problems just like always. Sinaprog worked for me on one computer but NOT on the computer I usually do my programming.

Yes..Sinaprog didnt detect the USB ASP when worked with my laptop.

attiny2313 device signature = 0xffffff

Hi, I am new in this forum
last time my ATMEGA8 has locked, and so i search how to unlock my microcontroller.
And now, my ATMEGA8 has already unlock.

This is step by step how to unlock my ATMEGA:
1. Open ponyprog serial device programmer
2. Connect the ATMEGA8 to pc (parallel port)
3. Click security and configuration bit
4. fill using this number :
WDTON : 1
SPIEN : 0 (cannot be changed)
CKOPT : 1
EESAVE : 1
BOOTSZ1 : 0
BOOTSZ0 : 0
BOOTRST : 1
BODLEVEL : 1
BODEN : 1
SUT1 : 1
SUT0 : 0
CKSEL3 : 0
CKSEL2 : 0
CKSEL1 : 0
CKSEL0 : 1
5. (This is the inportant thing that must do)
touch XTAL1 (and also) XTAL2 using your finger
and at the same time click "write" ....
6. ATMEGA8 can write the program again.

note : ATMEGA8 pin must not connected to other excep VCC, gnd, reset,miso,mosi,sck pin.

I hope this can solve your problem

regards,

-Imam-

spien atmega88 disable

imam.sumarsono said:
regards,
-Imam-
you've gotta be kidding!

reset fuses hv atmega

ctownsend said:
imam.sumarsono said:
regards,
-Imam-
you've gotta be kidding!

no, I am not kidding, as you know, our finger can supply frequency about 50Hz, I think it is why it is can write to ATMEGA. I have try this and 100% success

CMIIW

regards,

-Imam-

fuse bit setting for atmega32

hi ctownsend,

i'm facing this problem too. i have a labtool with me. But how am i gonna erase all the fuse bit? i try to execute the erase option but still not working.

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.