Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will the clock gating affect the setup/hold time of the flop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sareene

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Will the clock gating affect the setup/hold time of the flop?

Thanks in advance,
Saran

Re: clock gating...

No It doesnot affect the setup and hold time of the flop. The gated clock is actually used for power saving but the output of the clock is also a clock .

en.clk is the output of the gated clock . The clock that is actually fed to the block is en.clk. When en is high i,e when the clock to the block has to be fed or when the block is enabled then the clock is propagated to the block else when en is 0 then it is not.

So the poing that i want to make is that the clock property remains the same so is the setup and hold time of the flops.

I hope it helps :D

Added after 42 seconds:

No It doesnot affect the setup and hold time of the flop. The gated clock is actually used for power saving but the output of the clock is also a clock .

en.clk is the output of the gated clock . The clock that is actually fed to the block is en.clk. When en is high i,e when the clock to the block has to be fed or when the block is enabled then the clock is propagated to the block else when en is 0 then it is not.

So the poing that i want to make is that the clock property remains the same so is the setup and hold time of the flops.

I hope it helps :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back