Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

physical interpretation of metamaterials

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM_DEVILS

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have started reading about metamaterials recently and I would like to know how to physically interpret metamaterial properties? I would also like to know whether it is enough, if we plot the negative epsilon and negative mu of the material from the S parameters data? Is there any other way to say, that the material is acting like a Double negative material?

With Regards,
MM_DEVILS

The double mu and eps is the tell-tale sign of a left-handed material, but there can be other clues. Phase will be "lost" instead of "accumulated" after propagating through a left-handed material. the phase velocity (or apparent direction of the waves) will appear to be backward. This is a consequence of "losing" phase. Refraction will likely be in the opposite direction you would otherwise expect.

On another note, it can be a little misleading to compute "effective" mu and eps from the S-matrix. These properties are valid for just one frequency, one polarization, and one angle of incidence. If any of these change, the mu and eps can change significantly. Remember, you not only have the loss and dispersion of the underlying materials, but you have the loss and dispersion of the resonance giving you negative mu and eps.

-tip

MM_DEVILS

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back