Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What exactly is precoding and what does it do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ks1267

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is precoding? Can anyone explain me or give me a link to provide a fundamental knowledge on precoding please.
Thank you.

what is precoder

I have checked the wikipedia "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precoding", it says that it is related to Beamforming & MIMO. does everyone think so?

channel precoder

Precoding is a technique which exploits transmit diversity by weighting information stream, i.e. the transmitter send the coded information to the receiver in order to the pre-knowledge of the channel. The receiver is a simple detector, such as matched filter, and does not have to know the channel side information. This technique will reduce the corrupted effect of communication channel.

For example you are sending information, s
and it will pass through the channel, h
and Gaussian noise, n
The received signal at receiver front-end will be, r=sh+n;

The receiver will have to know the information about h and n. It will supress the effect of n by increasing SNR but what about h? It need information about the channel, h and this will increase the complexity. The receiver, mobile units, have to be simple for many reasons like cost, size of mobile unit. So, the transmitter, base station, will do the hard work and predicts the channel.

Let call the predicted channel, h_est
and for a system with precoder the information will be coded, s/h_est
and the received signal will be, r=(h/h_est)s+n

if your prediction is perfect, h_est=h, and r=s+n, and it turns out to be the detection problem in Gaussian channels which is simple.

need of precoding

So why do they call it "coding"? what you explain sounds much like "equalization at the transmitter".

precoding fundamental

It is a preprocessing technique that performs transmit diversity and it is similar to equalization but the main difference is you have to optimize precoder with a decoder. Channel equalization aims to minimize channel errors, but precoder aims to minimize the error in the receiver output.

precoder wikipedia

usually transmitter does not know about channel, if there is a feedback than transmitter will get a information about the channel by adaptive filter.

The adaptive coading at the transimitter will be done in this way. This is called precoading of the signal at the transmitter

common precoder

By using pilot-assisted techniques, transmitter will have ability to predict the channel without feedback. It is called forward error control, and precoding is a technique of forward error control.

precoding book

ks1267 said:
What is precoding? Can anyone explain me or give me a link to provide a fundamental knowledge on precoding please.
Thank you.

I have some works about precoding over MIMO channels. If you need tell me.

common precoder

ahmad_1024 said:
ks1267 said:
Thank you.

I have some works about precoding over MIMO channels. If you need tell me.

Hello ahmad

Please please please give me your work. I really need it. I sent you PM. please check. Thank you

what is common precoder

Anymore information?

what is pre-coding

could u post a link for this book (precoding) please?

beamforming, precoding, difference

Hi, I am a third year undergraduate student of electrical engineering. I have been assigned a summer project to to design,simulate and analyze a multi-antenna precoder for broadcasting data from a satellite to many ground terminals.
I am supposed to do some background reading on this topic before joining the team. However, I have no knowledge of precoding as such...can you help me as to how should I go about reading on this subject? I mean right from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back