Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise contribution in LNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joehwang

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
calculating noise contribution

Hi,

I have a question about the noise contribution in the following LNA:
Ls has a parasitic resistor:rs

M1 or Ls(rs), which one contribution more noise?

In me opinion, if Ls is large, and thus, the rs is large, the noise contribution in Ls is bigger than M1. Otherwise, if Ls is small so that rs is also small, the noise contribution in M1 is bigger than Ls.
Is it correct?

Thanks!

post lna contribution to system noise

of course it is correct

noise contributor

I am not sure if I entirely agree with you.Note that the Rs introduces negative feedback.Hence the gm of the bottom transistor is lowered.For the purpose of the analysis of noise contributions we can treat the circuit as a single stage Common Source LNA(cascode by itself add minimal noise).I have tried to derive the noise figure of such a structure for an examination and it was not a neat expression.I suggest you to derive the noise figure expression and see the result or do a quick analysis in ADS.

joehwang

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
you may refer to Thomas H. Lee's book for further understanding.

Basically i agree with your statement. from my past experience, i think M1 is a major noise contributor as well.

joehwang

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yeah I also think that it is a major noise contributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.