Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measurement of static leakage power using NanoSim

Status
Not open for further replies.

piano

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a question regarding measurement of static leakage power using NanoSim.

What I am trying to measure is the static wasted power in a NAND gate (or for that matter any circuit ... I am starting off small). Input is a HSPICE netlist of a NAND gate (4 transistors). Inputs to the NAND gate are 2 dc inputs. Simulation time for some 400 nsec (arbitrary). What I want is the
leakage power dissipated due to the subthreshold leakage currents flowing through the dc paths.

I was reading in the documentation NanoSim does measure leakage (wasted) current -- both static and dynamic. I have been trying to use the track_wasted and split_wasted option. According to the docs, it says the split_wasted option splits the wasted currents (powers) into static and dynamic. I tried it out for a simple nand gate. My input is in the form of a SPICE netlist:

.inc 'TSMC-0.35um.model'
.global GND

V_vdd Vdd GND 1V

*V_a A1 GND PWL (0n 0 49n 0 50n 1 100n 1 101n 0)
*V_b B1 GND PWL (0n 0 100n 0 101n 1)

V_a A1 GND dc 0.0
V_b B1 GND dc 1.0

* HSPICE file created from nanf201.ext - technology: SCN4M.25.TSMC

.option scale=0.25u

m0 O A1 Vdd Vdd CMOSPL w=25 l=2
+ ad=150 pd=62 as=242 ps=132
m1 Vdd B1 O Vdd CMOSPL w=25 l=2
+ ad=0 pd=0 as=0 ps=0
m2 a_13_3 A1 GND GND CMOSNL w=21 l=2
+ ad=42 pd=46 as=105 ps=52
m3 O B1 a_13_3 GND CMOSNL w=21 l=2
+ ad=79 pd=52 as=0 ps=0
C0 Vdd GND 6.8fF

** hspice subcircuit dictionary

**.measure tran Vdd_pwr avg power from=0ns to=400ns

.tran .1ns 200n
.end

My cfg file:

report_block_powr total track_power=1 split_wasted=1 *

When I ran the above circuit, it gives dynamic wasted = 0 W and static wasted = 0 W and % Wasted power = 100%. I understand the dynamic wasted part -- since there is no switching activity, there cant be short circuit currents -- but shouldn't there be some static leakage power ??

Can someone point out to me, what I am doing wrong -- or is the simulator not capable of getting this value ?? I would really appreciate if someone sheds some light on this for me.

thanks in advance

The problem could be with the large units used by report_block_powr. The leakage is pretty small number and may be rounded to 0 when higher units are used. Try changing units using
set_sim_ires=1pA
set_print_ires=1pA
in the cfg file.
I think what might solve your problem with most certainty is using the command
set_sim_leak
in the cfg file (no options exist for this command).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back