Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issues in vhdl coding...plz let me know if u r aware.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidyaredy

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
vhdl instantiate dcm in top level

Hi friends,

I am designing Data Acquisition system, in which I need to use DCM, MUX's, latches and delay elements as my lower level modules. When I instantiate them in my top module, The system runs with system clock. In the top module I have instantiated all the lower modules and under process I have take system clock as my event and portmapping is done under this process. But I am getting erros. When I remove the system clock, I am not getting erros. please anyone explain me whether portmapping can be allowed in process with clock...

Thanks in advance...

top module in vhdl

As far as i know.. u cannot port-map inside a process. Port-mapping is done outside the process.

It doesnt make sense to port-map inside a process. Since you are "describing" hardware, making it 'sensitive' to some clock signal doesnt make sense. The described hardware wont change according to some 'clock'.

vhdl coding

yeah you are rute, I have assigned outputs outside the process. Now it got synthesised. One more issue is I am getting error as

# ** Fatal: Integer divide (mod) by zero.
# Time: 1000040 ps Iteration: 19 Process: /top_module/u2/dcm_sp_inst/ps_delay_md_p File: C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/vhdl/src/unisims/unisim_VITAL.vhd
# Fatal error at C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/vhdl/src/unisims/unisim_VITAL.vhd line 7216
#
run
# Cannot continue because of fatal error.
run
run
run
run
run
run
run

when I run my top module in modelsim for simulation....How do I correct the delay...

cannot continue because of fatal error vhdl

I believe, you had the same error while debugging your DCM (another post of yours).
I can see a mention of "divide by zero" in the error...

Does your testbench perform any such operation ?

modelsim cannot continue because of fatal error

Hi,

I am not using any testbench. using DCM to generate clock doubling....

fatal error unisims/unisim_vital

I cant see why a divide by zero error should occur. Have you properly instantiated the DCM ? With proper feedback ? Have tried using modelsim instead of ISE simulator ?

If possible, upload your VHDL code, or gimme a link if u've already posted it.

Re: Issues in vhdl coding...plz let me know if u r aware....

Hi plz find the attached files of my code. I got those errors in Modelsim only. I am using ISE WEBPACK-10.1 and modelsim 6.1b.....

I went through the code. I found some issues.

1.) In buf_soc and buf_eoc.. you have made the following assignment

O <= I after D_SOC
O <= I after D_EOC

In VHDL 'after' statement is non-synthesizable. But XST gave no error. So even i was surprised. So i decided to do a behavioral simulation on those individual buffers. And i found that they do not work. Forcing the input to '1' or '0' does not change the output. So i ran a Post route simulation.. It worked but then the 100 ns delay wasn't there... Only combinational path delay. Which proves 'after' statement wasnt synthesized.

2.) I simulated the top level module. And i got no such 'divide by zero error' and i got the expected multiplied clock on signal clk6b1o.

I am using ISE version 9.1 and modelsim XE 6.2g

oh....is there any other alternative for after clause, can i use wait untill? I think even it is not synthesisable....At the output i am generating the pulses with so much of time period.....

No you cannot use 'wait', or other such delay statements either. There is no way to introduce such timed delay directly.. We have to depend on the 'clock'.
And moreover, using 6 DCM's causes jitter accumulation.

I didnt understand what you meant by "At the output i am generating the pulses with so much of time period....."

Hi,

I have done my complete design module. All individual blocks are working fine. But when I integrate all I am not getting desired outputs. As you mentioned in ur earlier reply that after clause is not simulated, it worked out for me. when I change my input, after certain amount of as mentioned in the code output is changing with respect to input. However not working in top module. I am here with my complete design plz go thro' and let me know where I have gone wrong. If I cant use after clause, whats the alternative for that. I need to generate the pulses of that much duration. How can I desribe delay elements in VHDL? My top module output signals are not happening...OE,SHG,ADC_CLK. ADC_CLK is my second DCM(inst--DCM2--o/p clk is twice input clk) output. I mean twice multiplied by the output of first DCM (inst--DCM6---o/p is six times input clk)output(clk1b20_inv). I am feeding my output of first DCM as input to second DCM....

find the source files and output waveform files of top module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back