Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sending data to a hardware acclerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake0204

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

I need a little advice here with Xilinx XUP board. I developed a HW accelerator for a video processing task. I write pixel data along with some additional data word by word to HW accelerator through software, but this writing data through software is slowing the system down, in the sense I am getting very low frame rate.

Unfortunately there is not enough BRAM space on the FPGA to store the whole frame and the additional data, so I have to store all this data on SDRAM and write it to HW bock pixel by pixel and then frame by frame.

I am using a Xilinx XUP board with linux running on the PPC. One ideal solution would be to have a DMA and write a device driver but I don't have resources and expertise in this area....is there any easy way around this bottle neck.

Thanks
Ramc

What is your hardware architecture? I mean did you include a DMA controller in your design, which comes with driver support. DMA is probably the best/fastest way to get large amounts of data into your accelerator

Thanks for the response, my hw acc does not include any DMA. The block is interfaced to a OCP bus (to enable design reuse we use OCP bus interface for all our blocks). So in effect there is a PLB-OCP bridge and all the hw acc sit on this OCP bus. So what we need is probably a DMA sitting on the PLB bus that can access SDRAM.

It is very interesting to know that there is a DMA with driver support, can you please throw some light on that. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back