Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL question, what is the better architecture for this task

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekUT

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm learning VHDL then may be my question should be easy for you but I need some hint to going on the subject. At now I've to code (or to better say I like to do) a VHDL code able to drive a 74HC595 register trough a four lines interface:

1. SSCLR
2. SSDAT
3. SSCLK
4. SSSTR

SSCLR will be used to clear the internal 74HC595 register
SSDAT used as data line, I've to put one bit each clock toggle
SSCLK clock for the internal 74HC595 shift registers
SSSTR strobe, used to load the data from the internal registers on the output

At now I'm doing all the task with a microcontroller and I like to do the same trough a dedicated logic circuit, from a logic flux point of view I've to implement this steps:

Code:
dataword = 1;
For (i=0; i<=15; i++)
{

SSCLR <= 0;
	wait;
	SSCLR <= 1;
	wait;
	For (j=0; j<15;j++)
		{
			 SSDAT <= dataword[j];
			 wait;
			 SSCLK <= 1;
			 wait;
			 SSCLK <= 0;
			 wait;
		}
	SSSTR <= 1;
	wait;
	SSSTR <= 0;
	wait;
	dataword << 1;
}

With this circuit I can load the parallel output of the 74HC595 with a word builded with just only one bit to 1 in order to test all the output.
My question is about what architecture is the best to use, a PROCESS architecure might be useful in this way? As I've read a PROCESS is a collection of statements that are processed in sequential way, but also I've see that signals are updated on the process exit but into this situation I've to update signal in real time to achieve the right behaviour. I'm are right or not about this point?

Thanks to all
Powermos

Re: VHDL question, what is the better architecture for this

Just use a simple state machine for this purpose. First calculate your timing requirements, then design the state machine and use appropriate clock (divider!) to implement the same.

@saikat

thank for reply but what is your idea about the feasibility with PROCESS usage?

About the FSM approach I've to use a maximum frequency of 1 MHz. I'll try also this type of implementation now.

Thanks
Powermos

You have to implement the state machine inside the process block using the clock. You also have to use an enable signal to activate the FSM. On each clock edge (rising or falling) it will check the enable signal, and if it is asserted, then the FSM will execute upto end of the parallel to serial conversion. The enable should be HIGH when you have a valid and stable data to transmit. During course of the data transmission i.e. parallel to serial conversion, the input data must be stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back