Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to make a center-tapped inductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

microkan

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
center tapped inductor

I am buiding a group delay equalizer and need to make a center-tapped inductor using Micrometals' RF toroid. Anyone could give some ideas about how to make the winding and is there any requirement for the wire? Thanks!

Kan

tapped toroid inductor make how

A bifilar winding design is preferable in terms of leakage inductance, but has higher stray capacitance respectively lower self-resonance frequency.

center-tapped inductor

I think FmV means to put two wires together and wind them simultaneously. Then connect end of one to the beginning of the second. It will provide you with good center-tapped coil. Depends on the application such wiring may works well up to 5 Ghz at least, but better not use it for so high frequencies unless you are very involved in broadband design. What is important it is to keep all wires that out of the core magnetic field as short as it possible.

rf tapped inductor

FvM, RF-OM, Thanks!
What's the typical coupling coefficient between the coils? I guess should be close to one.

how to make a tapped inductor

You are right, in this case it is practically 1.

tapped inductor

I made one using the Micrometals RF toroid, but the coupling coefficient is very low, only around 0.5. How could this happen? Is there anything I need to care about of the winding? Thanks!

RF-OM said:
You are right, in this case it is practically 1.

how to do center tapped inductor in ads

can you give a photograph of your inductor?. 0.5 Is too low, how you measured it?

how to center tapped wind

Yes, 0.5 is too low. Please provide more information how you buit it and what is the frequency?

make tapped inductor

I guess that is wrong measurement...

Keep in mind the definition of coupling factor:
k = M/√(L1+L2)

For k ≈1:
Np*Ip=Ns*Is or Vs * Np = Vp *Ns

so If Np = Ns and k ≈1 then |Vp| ≈ |Vs| taking the center of tapped inductor as reference or ground.

Added after 1 minutes:

Ups...

k = M/√(L1*L2)

sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.