Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Linux version is the best for beginner to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is the Best Operating System to Start Using Linux...
Like You i am also the new user of Linux and really enjoying this super cool operating system at free of cost...

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is the Best Operating System to Start Using Linux...
Like You i am also the new user of Linux and really enjoying this super cool operating system at free of cost...
It's only the best if you want to use Linux without knowing anything about it.. Simpler doesn't mean better.

How many other distributions have you tried? I'm willing to bet not very many at all.

@Hewitson:-

First Tell me one thing...
What you have learned first A,B,C,D......,Z or to make direct sentences without knowing these Alphabets......

I think you have got your answer one have to move from simpler to harder....
I am Windows User and recently switched to Linux... and i am not from a Computer Science Background..
Still wants to know the things....
Thats why i choose Ubuntu and I am really much comfortable with this...
In-spite of the Ubuntu i had tried Fedora and Red Hat Linux-9...
and Its true i am not having much knowledge of Linux, BUT SURELY WANTS TOOO.......

Your comparison with the alphabet is completely irrelevant. Myself and many others started off with Slackware.

Like it or not, Ubuntu is for people who wan't to use Linux without learning about how it works. Most users have probably never even entered a terminal.

Okay Okay friend its okay...
Lets not argue with each other....

Ubuntu is good for me... at-least for learning purpose.... and i am using Terminal..
But surely don't know much....
But wants to know more...
Can you tell me how to do so....
And Will you motivate me in the field of linux...
And dear the Problem is that I am from India... in our country no body bother's about linux...
80% computer user don't know what is linux...
18% knows the name of Linux...
1.5% knows some basics of linux..
and
Rest .5% are professional with Linux

Okay Okay friend its okay...
Lets not argue with each other....

Ubuntu is good for me... at-least for learning purpose.... and i am using Terminal..
But surely don't know much....
But wants to know more...
Can you tell me how to do so....

Regular use.. Practice makes a man perfect.
And Will you motivate me in the field of linux...

You should motivate yourself, Associate yourself with fellows like linux and use it.

And dear the Problem is that I am from India... in our country no body bother's about linux...
I don't agree with you... I am in india and for last 16 years I Use Linux. For lat 7 years, I use linux for each and every purpose.
80% computer user don't know what is linux...
18% knows the name of Linux...
1.5% knows some basics of linux..
and
Rest .5% are professional with Linux

No above stat is wrong. You come to city like Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai, Hyderabad,Kochi...
You will find lots of linux user.

Ubuntu version is best for the beginners

**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:

I think that ubuntu is a good distribution to start with

@shipashetty.. yes it's a very good distribution to start with.. ubuntu is very good in terms of software support..

So how can I learn Ubuntu? Do I need to install it in my computer? I don't want to install it in my hardware, so what can I do? Where can I download it?

So how can I learn Ubuntu? Do I need to install it in my computer? I don't want to install it in my hardware, so what can I do? Where can I download it?
#If you don't want to install ubuntu, you can demo - use it by using the option "demo" when you boot your computer with the ubuntu live cd/dvd
#there are many online forums and websites from which ubuntu usage can be learnt:
Typical Examples:
Ubuntu:Oneiric - &
ubuntu-tutorials.com
#Steps to install Ubuntu:
1) Download the iso image of ubuntu from the official site:
link: Download | Ubuntu
2) Burn the iso file to a recordable cd/dvd using the following software:
ISO CD DVD image creator, editor and ISZ DMG DAA UIF to ISO converter - UltraISO can extract/create/edit/convert CD and DVD image files directly, make bootable CDs and convert ISZ DMG DAA UIF to ISO.
3) While restarting the system go to BIOS menu and change the boot order to "Boot from CD"
4) Insert the Ubuntu CD and restart again
5) Follow through the installation procedures and install ubuntu in the system..
[OR]
You can skip the steps 1 and 2 by downloading the executable windows installer for ubuntu (running alongside windows)
Link: Download | Ubuntu

Last edited:

You can download the live CD of Ubuntu and run it without installation.
I recommend you to download and install the "VMware Workstation 7" virtualization software and install a virtual Ubuntu installation on your computer. If anything goes wrong you can simply delete the installed operating system without having to re-partitioning or restarting the system.

I am learning just these days, and I am using VirtualBox to install Ubuntu, it is not easy to install. It costs me much time and now I try to use Linux on **broken link removed**, I hope I can learn more. Besides, the command is good to play.:grin:

Ubuntu is best if you want an Window like environment, and REDHate is best if you realy want to taste the flavoure of realy power linux

Status
Not open for further replies.