Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make Spartan 3E Xilinx take sample every 8ns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhane

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how can i make my spartan 3e starter board take sample at every 8ns?

Spartan 3E Xilinx

You didn't say what you are sampling, but you can generate a 125 MHz (8ns) clock by instantiating a DCM (digital clock manager) into your HDL, and then configure its frequency synthesizer (the CLKFX output) to multiply the board's 50 MHz clock by the ratio 5/2.

Re: Spartan 3E Xilinx

i'm trying to sample the lpc bus of the pc

i'm quite new into this and aint really clear about what you are saying

how can i do it?

I used Clocking Wizard to initiate the DCM
when I assign the CLK2X_OUT to my OUTCLK port, I couldnt see anything when I simulate it in ModelSim. But when I assign CLK0_OUT instead, I can see the waves... am I on the right track?

Spartan 3E Xilinx

I don't read VHDL very well, but your code looks ok. It simulates fine for me, except for the LOCKED signal.

If you have trouble with LOCKED always being low, it's a known bug in ISE 10.1:

Spartan 3E Xilinx

hmm
im using 9.2i

then...what can i do about my clk2x_out that seems to be missing?

Spartan 3E Xilinx

I don't know. Maybe 9.2i or your simulator has a bug. Be sure you've installed the latest ISE service pack. If you are using ModelSim, be sure to use a version that's approved by Xilinx (although I usually don't have problems using different versions).

weird...
after doing it over a few times it suddenly worked when I didnt change anything

how come my clk isnt at 50Mhz when I specified it to be so?
and what are the spikes before the clk2x square waves?

Spartan 3E Xilinx

Intermittent software. Oh joy.

Your clock appears to be 5 MHz instead of 50 MHz. I don't know why. Maybe your main_tbw.tbw file is involved, but I don't know how to use it. I generate clocks with a Verilog testbench.

Before the DCM locks, it can output glitches and other ugly pulses. If that causes you grief, read about the DCM's LOCKED output signal, and the STARTUP_WAIT attribute.

I changed some values at my test bench..ya and my clocked changed. I guess that's the reason.

thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back