Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me build a digital ammeter using current divider

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastsheen

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! I need help on building a digital ammeter using current divider. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Ammeter

Please give more detail. First: which range you want measure ?

The ranges are 20uA, 200mA and 400mA

An easy way to build an ammeter is buying a small voltmeter module with LCD, usually with 200 mV range.
To convert current to voltage you can use three different shunts

1 kΩ 1% -> 20 µA

1 Ω 1% -> 200 mA

0,51 Ω 1% -> 400 mA

If you need to be more accurate you can use a trimmer to adjust reading.
If 1 k&#937 is too high you have to add an op amp amplifier to the circuit.
If you need an overload protection add two diodes and 1 resistor to the voltmeter input.

What i know is that in all ammeters a voltmeter is used. You can convert current to voltage using a resistor. Then use a A/D and a micro controller to get the value of the current.

**broken link removed**

The picture above is my voltmeter circuit. The value of R1 and R2 is 990kΩ and 9kΩ respectively. The ranges of my voltmeter are 200mV, 20V and 200V. When the input voltage is 200mV, use switch1. If 20V use switch2 and when 200V use switch3. All of these will have an output of 200mV which will then be amplified to 2.5V that will be connected to the ADC.

From the circuit above, how can I add my Ammeter circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.