Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ethernet troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

david90

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an ethernet transceiver with a uC and I can't get it to work. When I plug it into the switch I couldn't see any 10/100 mbit light. I'm sure all the connections are right. What are some ways to troubleshoot this?

What are the condition for getting the 10/100 mbit light on the switch to light up?

what happen when a device is plugged into an Ethernet switch? When does the hand shaking happen?

Usually the PHY has to be activated by software to send idle frames that can be detected by the peer. Basically some registers at the controller have to be set up to start operation, this would be done by the driver part of network stack normally.
But there are also many options for hardware errors that can prevent operation.

when the device is not connected, the idle frame/data is constantly being sent out until the device is plugged in? If that is the case, then I can probe the tx pin to see if there is any data output?

when we connect ethernet cable in RJ45 socket , Phy detects the connection through autosensing technique . once its done next work done by phy is to select proper speed & duplex mode for communication , generally it is done by autonegotiation process. When both the nodes (in your case its your processor MAC & switch MAC ) negotiated on same speed & duplex mode , connection is get established which we call as link up & then LED start blinking up.
Once link is up , actual data transmission starts .

Status
Not open for further replies.