Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help matching CAT5 to 4-core instrument cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinkplaat

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have a setup where a Power Over Ethernet Network is connected to a towed instrument vechile behind a ship. The length of the cable can be up to 3km's long. The Ethernet extender works fine with CAT5 cable at these lengths, but not with the armored 4-core cable used in maritime applications.

The maritime cable has a typical capacitance of 20uF/1km @kHz between cores and a DC resistance of 188Ohms/km.

The CAT5 spec calls for a DC loop resistance of <188Ohm/km and a capacitance of 200pF/twisted pair/km.

My question:
Would it be possible to build a matching network that would match the Ethernet extender and receiver to the maritime cable? If so, what would be the design methology/steps be that I would need to follow?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

André

Status
Not open for further replies.