Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3.5mm 2.4 mm and SMA connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

boy

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
2.92 3.5 sma connector 2.4

can i connect 3.5 mm to sma without using an adapter? my frequency is about 6 GHz. are all of them machanically the same? someone told me before that 3.5 mm and SMA are machanically the same. I am not sure about 2.4 mm can i use SMA connect directly to 2.4 mm conector?
tajnk you

difference between a k connector and an sma

the inner conductor diameter of 3.5mm&SMA is not the same,but you can use one to instead of other if you do not have a adapter,it has little effect on using it.But you can not connect a SMA to a 2.4mm conector,that will produce nothing.

2.4mm to 3.5mm sma

Yes, you can connect SMA to 3.5 mm, it will not be a problem concernig electric characteristics at the frequencies of interest. Just be careful about the mechanical arangement as tolerance for 3.5mm are very tight, it is professional type, while dimensions of SMA can vary more as they are for mass consumer use, so it is not rare case that mail SMA damages femail 3.5mm connector if to much force is applied. Don't use torque wrench, use bare hands only!

flyhigh

3.5 vs sma

I have used 3.5 mm connectors to mate to SMA without problems at frequencies up to 18 GHz. 2.4 mm is NOT mechanically compatible with either of the two so mating it to SMA can damage the connectors.
Here is a document that gives excellent cover at connector topics. It can be found at the web, but at the moment I don't have the time to search it again.

Regards
D.

3.5 sma connector

By the way, can someone explain the basic difference between 3.5mm and K type connectors? I know that thay are 100% compatible, just don't know is it just different manufacturer or something substantially different?

flyhigh

3.5mm sma 2.4mm

K connectors are also known as 2.92 mm and have been introduced by Anritsu for application to 40 GHz. It is mechanically different from 3.5 mm as it is described in the document I have uploaded.
HP has later replaced it with 2.4 mm connectors, but latest applications are going for 1.8 mm connectors. Latest two are fully compatible.

D.

2.4mm sma connector

The connector guide above comes from **broken link removed** which has many other useful downloads on connectors.

adapter 3.5 to sma connector

This link was broken, does anyone have an updated link?

flatulent said:
The connector guide above comes from h**p://www.npl.co.uk/electromagnetic/rfmgw/tech-transfer/anamet/publications.html which has many other useful downloads on connectors.

can i connect a 3.5mm to an sma

edaforum said:
This link was broken, does anyone have an updated link?

flatulent said:
The connector guide above comes from h**p://www.npl.co.uk/electromagnetic/rfmgw/tech-transfer/anamet/publications.html which has many other useful downloads on connectors.

h**p://www.npl.co.uk/electromagnetic/clubs/anamet/publications.html

or contact them to get free publications

h**p://www.npl.co.uk/electromagnetic/publications/

3.5mm sma adapter

flyhigh said:
By the way, can someone explain the basic difference between 3.5mm and K type connectors? I know that thay are 100% compatible, just don't know is it just different manufacturer or something substantially different?

flyhigh

3.5 mm connector and K connector are mechanical but not electrical compatible (read mismatches).

In the first one the inner diameter of the external conductor is 3.5mm and it is used up to 26 GHz (but the cut off frequency is higher); the inner conductor of the external diameter of the second one is 2.92 mm: it is used up to 40 GHz and the cutoff frequency is 46 GHz.

happy holidays

sma and 3.5 same

the link below is very helpful about 3.5mm and SMA cross family connection, especially about the section that you can damage the 3.5 cal kit if you rotate the connector while tightening (very easy to do that).

h**p://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/connectorsprecision.cfm#35mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back