Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB probing solutions with BGAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

digital_hw_engineer

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
probing bgas

[Digital HW question]:

Just curious what other people are doing out there when probing / testing / verifying PWBs with BGAs. I have seen the PWAs I work on get smaller, making use of blind vias, high density interconnects, fine pitch BGAs.

Way back in the olden days, you could probe a QFP from one device to another and verify setup / hold, etc. Now that BGAs are being used, it is impossible to probe under the device. So how are people testing PWAs using BGAs? How do you verify setup/hold from one FPGA BGA to an SRAM BGA?

Hi

For prototypeing there is special high cost socket with all signals avaliable

All the best

Bobi

Instead of placing the BGA, place a BGA socket on the board. Then you can place 'devices' like this one **broken link removed** to make all the signals available for probing.

You can also use tectronix P6419 probe, just need to open some copper on PCB

i think going for a socket is expensive as most designs now go on cost reduction
u make routing in such a way that u have some test points which are accessibleas the routing is in our control, or you can look at the destination point of the signals

bye
som

BGA chips usually has a JTAG interface so you can use boundary-scan tools to test PCB interconnects. I'd recommend Scanseer software for this purpose. Scanseer can probe and even control pins of any part with JTAG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back