Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple timer design looking for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chien_fu

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm looking for some help designing the following circuit. I've done a few hobby level circuits based on the PIC 16F877 / 84 and assume this will probably require something along those lines.

Functional goal description:
Vibrating motor that gives a quick pulse (< 1sec) every 15, 30 or 45 minutes. I'm looking for one momentary-push button that controls the circuit ON/OFF as well as the interval. IE. Push the button once, the circuit turns on and interval is set to 15 min. Push again, interval changes to 30 min. and again for 45 min interval.

It's a 3-5v dc motor and I'm assuming I can run it at line level. As you see I don't have a lot of knowledge around this yet, and would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks a lot!

What is "line level"?
The motor needs 3VDC to 5VDC so give it that.

Make a circuit to give the timed pulses then add a transistor or two to boost the current high enough to power the motor.

Yes, the kind of thing you are describing requires some intelligent chip.
I would think a PIC10Fxx, or 12Fxx would do the trick.
One I/O line of the PIC will be used to power the motor, through a transistor, and another I/O would be needed to sense the switch closure. From that point on, it's all software, which is relatively simple, by the way.
I can help with that.

You will need two timers to do it: one that gives you the motor on time, 1s, the other that gives you the interval. Two 555 timers or a 556 will do the trick.

Can I use a 555 or 556 to easily create a random timer interval? I'd like to time an interval between 15 and 75 minutes. Is this possible with these timers?

hi chien_fu

yes u can use 555 or 556 to have long time
but it's better to us a divider after a 555 (like 4017)

see this

chien_fu said:
Can I use a 555 or 556 to easily create a random timer interval? I'd like to time an interval between 15 and 75 minutes. Is this possible with these timers?

You'll need more than a 555 or 556 if you want random. One of your PICs could do it no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back