Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create lumped ports in HFSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicita

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

when I want to use Lumped Ports in HFSS do I always need to put a layer as a reference ground? Since I need S parameter results I would like to use lumped ports but in my structure there is no layer gnd below the input port and the problem is that without gnd layers it doesn't work! Is there another way, differet from the figure, to create lumped ports?

Tnx a lot!!
Bye

Re: Lumped_Port

I saw your picture. What kind of transmission line are you trying to simulate? I think you need at least two conductors for a wave/lumped port.

Re: Lumped_Port

Lumped_port is a "localized" source. Some people call it a differentiall source. The ground plane is not part of its definition. You don't need to define a reference plane for a lumped port.

However, in the picture you sent, the lumped-port is "floating"--like a battery with wire attached to only the positive end, while the negative end is just hanging. The "battery"--the lumped port--is well defined, the "circuit" is probably not.

Lumped_Port

Thanks for your help, so loucy you mean that I don't need to insert a reference plate but as you know when you define a lumped port it asks to specify the conductor layer and the reference layer. So my question is which kind of reference can I define?
In my structure I have a part of the circuit that has a metal layer as a gnd below it, but there is also another part that has no gnd layer below. The last part is my problem!
Thanks a lot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back