Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NAND Type Flash Memory Interface Standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueSky68

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I am just wondering if there is a standard for the NAND type flash memory interface and command sets. For the interface I can see from the datasheet I have read through from Samsugn, Toshiba etc. They are pretty much the same.

My biggest concern is the command set used to interface betweent he memory and controller. Is there any standard for that?

Thx,

There isn't a standard for NAND flash yet. But you know, STMicroelectronics also pushes NAND by following Samsung, so I think maybe samsung&ST will be the final std.
How do you think?

BRs,

mYthorON

I have looked at this also. It appears that most of the command sets are the same. I think that they are going to have to be considering several people (sandisk, toshiba, etc) have generated ASIC for ATA to flash support. No vendor wants to get locked into a single source chip.

I did find one interesting difference between the manufacturers. Most of the interfaces are 8 bits, however there are a few that have 16 and of course, the pinout is non-standard on the 16 bit interface.

robotman

Hi MythorOn,

I did go to ST's website, however, I could not find any information for NAND type of Flash memory. Could you point to where you find that information?

Thanks,

BlueSky68 said:
Hi MythorOn,

I did go to ST's website, however, I could not find any information for NAND type of Flash memory. Could you point to where you find that information?

Thanks,
You can visit www.st.com, then click "product" , and search the word "NAND" you will find some related docs about ST NAND.

ANd the attached file is a doc about ST NAND, you may check it. I hope it is useful to you.

Regards,

**broken link removed**

robotman said:
I have looked at this also. It appears that most of the command sets are the same. I think that they are going to have to be considering several people (sandisk, toshiba, etc) have generated ASIC for ATA to flash support. No vendor wants to get locked into a single source chip.

I did find one interesting difference between the manufacturers. Most of the interfaces are 8 bits, however there are a few that have 16 and of course, the pinout is non-standard on the 16 bit interface.

robotman
Operation ISA of Toshiba NAND is greatly different from that of Samsung&ST.
You can check the datasheets.

MythorOn,

Thank you for the webpage and the data brief file. However, it just a data sheet brief. I could not find any interface related information and command set information over there.

Also, for your last post, I could not agree on what you've said. I found these two players command are same, did you compare different size flash memory by chance? If not, could you let me know the parts number?

Thx

I ever used samsung NAND, and recently I read the datasheet of Toshiba 1Gbit NAND, and I found the ISA is different.

Maybe I should read more about Toshiba.

Glad to discuss with you. I will do research more. Hope to exchange experience with you.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back