Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

State of Semiconductor Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppet1

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Alright.

CMOS is heading to 45nm and below.

Not many companies can afford this, so I see a big collapse of the industry in the coming years.

A lot of companies will vanish and or/go bankrupt.

There are so many professors in the world, who used to work in RFIC/Analog Mixed Signal, who train students, but yet, there are little jobs, and companies left hiring people.

A lot of research in mmwave CMOS (60GHz and so on) yet few companies even making any of this.

So, what do people make of all of this ?

What is the future for people in this industry ?

This is a problem in all industries that are becoming mature. You may notice that schools turn out many more musicians than there are jobs for them. Schools turn out many more mechanical engineers that can design steam engines even though there are few being built. In the early days of the railroads there were many more jobs in this design area.

so....

what are you trying to say.

I do not think what puppet mentioned is because the industry is mature

The universities are supposed to do experiments, whether it is profitable is not their first concern

Puppet1 said:
Alright.

CMOS is heading to 45nm and below.

Not many companies can afford this, so I see a big collapse of the industry in the coming years.

A lot of companies will vanish and or/go bankrupt.

There are so many professors in the world, who used to work in RFIC/Analog Mixed Signal, who train students, but yet, there are little jobs, and companies left hiring people.

A lot of research in mmwave CMOS (60GHz and so on) yet few companies even making any of this.

So, what do people make of all of this ?

What is the future for people in this industry ?

Hi,
You're right Sir but the situation is not catastrophic at this point. You are too pessimist. Concerning the people there is a lot of things to do especialy in the field of Analog, High Speed and low power devices design.

sorry if i came across pessimistic.

not trying too.

there is a lot to do, that is so true.

just saw this and see that wireless is becoming a commodity, and companies will combine and go bankrupt and so on, so it kind of scared me, that's all.

---

NXP BV and STMicroelectronics NV have announced their agreement to combine key wireless operations to form a joint-venture company. ST is set to own 80 percent of the JV and NXP 20 percent while receives $1.55 billion in cash from ST. Nokia has endorsed the move saying the wireless supply chain needs consolidation.

I see you are discussing semiconductor industry with focus on CMOS...ie Si or SiGe processes. What are your views about the health of GaAs, InP, GaN kind of microwave application processes?

i think the MMIC process is still doing well , speically thier main applications is military and very high performance sysetms. also there are few companies working in this if compared to CMOS and BICMOS
GaN is very hot in research these days specially it provides high power devieces

khouly

i think it will prosper but not all companies related to that field. Due to worldwide crisis today many companies already shut down. sounds like a cartel? well, there are plenty of skilled people in terms of semicon industry. I think it will bounce back in the future.

i think it is at a turning point.

silicon is now like steel or plastic.

infineon is almost gone, philips is already nxp, st and nxp wireless are merging and infineon -- who knows.

just like auto industry semi is reaching a point where growth will not be as much.

so, either you are more and more educated in this industry or you are out.

yeah , i agree with u puppet1

now , u need to be very highly eduacted to get a nice chance in semiconductor industry

the research is challenging

Khouly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back