Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Question on FIR filter and it's Bode plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

usrocky

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A Question on FIR filter

Hi, all
I have encountered a FIR filter question couple days ago.
A guy gave me an impulse response of a FIR filter(z transform equation), and ask me to plot the bode plot of it.
I am confused about the question, isn't bode plot is the magnitude and phase response of the loop gain(AB). Since the FIR filter doesn't have feedback factor(not IIR), how can i plot the bode plot?
is B=0? and bode plot go infinite?
or B=1, Bode plot of a FIR filter is the same as it's magnitude and phase response with logged frequency axis?

Re: A Question on FIR filter

Hello usrocky,

I think you can plot with Nuhertz Filter Solutions product...
**broken link removed**

I have attached corresponding picture for your refernce...

---manju---

usrocky,
If there is no denominator term, just assume the denominator is 1, and compute the frequency response by making the substitution z=exp(jw), evaluating the response from w = 0 to w=Ws/2, where ws is the sampling frequency.
Regards,
Kral

hi, kral
that's what i told the guy, but i am not sure freq response and bode plot are the same thing
thanks

usrocky,
A Bode plot is a frequency response with restrictions on the scaling of the gain and frequency axes. Frequency response can be specified with any desired scaling for the gain and frequency. Often frequency response refers only to the gain vs frequency, without regard to phase. A Bode plot includes both amplitude and phase. Here's the important distinction:
A Bode plot describes the gain (vertical axis) in dB, and frequency (horizontal axis) on a logarithmic scale. To be complete, a Bode plot must also include the phase on a linear scale vs frequency on a logarithmic scale.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.