Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Robotic ARM - How to Increase Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedfury

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I just completed the mechanical structure of my Robotic ARM but the Weight is Just too much and Motors don't seem to be producing enough torque in order to lift the weight up. A picture of the Arm is below... Ay suggestion how can I increase the torque? Do I have to use gears for this purpose or Would I have to change the whole mechanical design of this thing?

Arm.jpg

You could try some sort of counter balance for each arm segment.
Also you can search on net for max current and voltage that each motor can handle. Most motors can be much higher than the rated voltage. for example you can drive a 14 volt motor with > 40 volts. This will increase the torque. Also if you are using stepper motors then using a proper stepper drive can also help. See L297 / L298 data sheets.

Hi Hauntedfury,

I'm very interested in robotics. My suggestion regarding you problem is to find a different type of motor to handle the torque. You still can use the same mech design instead, just find the right size of motor to replace the stepper motor. There are lot of motor on the internet that we can use. I suggest, you use a worm gear type motor or a reduction gear head motor with mechanical break. This is because you are designing a robotic arm, the arm should hold it position if we want to. Tq

'Learn till you die'
Pian.

YOU CAN YOU USE VARIABLE TRANSIMISION TO INCREASE YOUR TORQUE.

You could use servo motors of the similar size so that you wont have to modify your design. This way you would also have the advantage of controlling the servo using some PWM signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.