Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to get the power switch's size (w/L) in dc-dc converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batistuta

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to get the power switch's size (w/L) in dc-dc converter?

thanks.

Re: how to get the power switch's size (w/L) in dc-dc conver

Why do you need W/L of the power FET.

Generally they only mention RON (ON resistance) of the switch in the data sheets. I dont think you will know unless you are a designer. You can calculate W/L approximately if you know Un && Cox and supply voltages. you can use below eqn to calculate W/L. this should give close value.

RON=1/((Un*cox*(VGS-vth)*(W/L)).

For different technologies it will be different. It also depends whether it is a high voltage switch or low voltgae switch. your question is not clear.

Let's say for 0.5um CMOS process, if you want an 60V switch with 1A capability, W will be in thousands and L is approximately 1.5 - 2.0 (L is bigger because of HV).

batistuta

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: how to get the power switch's size (w/L) in dc-dc conver

anlgnovice said:
Why do you need W/L of the power FET.

Generally they only mention RON (ON resistance) of the switch in the data sheets. I dont think you will know unless you are a designer. You can calculate W/L approximately if you know Un && Cox and supply voltages. you can use below eqn to calculate W/L. this should give close value.

RON=1/((Un*cox*(VGS-vth)*(W/L)).

For different technologies it will be different. It also depends whether it is a high voltage switch or low voltgae switch. your question is not clear.

Let's say for 0.5um CMOS process, if you want an 60V switch with 1A capability, W will be in thousands and L is approximately 1.5 - 2.0 (L is bigger because of HV).

thanks,anlgnovice! i know what you mean, the equation is one way to get the W/L,

and if by the way of simulation, how to do ?? can anybody help me out?

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back