Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium Print Problem - Need Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishal

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
Pad holes disappear when I print from Altium 6.8. Pad holes will appear again when I change 'Colour Set' properties from 'Mono' to 'Gray'. Moreover, If I print the file to pdf(adobe acrobat), all square pads will disappear on the generated pdf.

is there any solution?

Thanks in advance

Nishal

To show holes, you need to right click on the print preview window, and select "Configuration". There is a check box for "Holes" for each layer under the "Printout Options" column.

Without seeing your board file, I can't guess what might be wrong with your square pad printout. I've never seen this problem with PDF.

If you want to post or PM your PCBDOC file, I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Thanks House_Cat for your reply.

Yes, I have checked the checkbox for "Holes" this is visible from attached jpg, only slot holes are enabled. However I managed to solve the problem after several attempts of PC Reboot. I need to find out the root cause to eliminate this type of error in the future. I get these error occassionally. I have tried reinstalling Altium with the same result. I was happy with Protel 99SE

Attached pcbdoc file in rar format

Thanks

Nishal

Perhaps it's the version of Acrobat you are using, or some other software interferring. I couldn't replicate your problem.

It worked OK for me on the first try. I have AD6.8.1, Acrobat 8, and Windows XPSP2 with all of the current patches. All I did was load your PCB file, and choose 'File>>Fabrication Outputs>>Final'. I went to the Configuration dialog, and checked the boxes for "Holes" and "Mirror" for the bottom layer. I then went to Page Setup and selected 'Mono' color, 'Scaled Print Scale'=1.00, Letter size paper, and centered margins. I went to Setup Printer, and selected Adobe PDF. Finally, I hit 'Print' from the Print Preview. What you see in the attached PDF is what I got - there don't seem to be any errors.

Hi House_Cat,

Thanks for the effort taken in replying my problem.

I have done the same way as you did. I follow these steps from the begining of using Altium. But occassionally I get these type of print errors. You may be right, it may be of any software interfering since it is not consistent.

Another problem I found after creating PDF is that I cannot see the pads after importing the pdf to coreldraw, but this was not a problem in Protel 99se. I use this feature for combining different layers to a single page for the easiness of making film. You can see it for yourself with the generated PDF file if you use coreldraw. if there is any solution for this please let me know.

- Nishal

I'll try Coreldraw when I get a chance and let you know if I find anything.

For combining layers, why don't you use CAMTASTIC which is included with Altium Designer? You can merge layers and then print your PDF, or make a combined Gerber if you want.

You can also combine layers in the printout itself from AD. Just add the desired layers to the printout in the Configure dialog.

Hi House_cat

Thanks, I have been using Protel for about 12 years since then I don't have any other alternative in combining the layers (bottom side, bottom solder mask, top silkscreen etc) into a single print size (eg: A4 size) other than Coreldraw. I use CAMTASTIC only for double sided and above boards. For single sided boards, I still use this method.

I appreciate your open minded approach in sharing ideas and helping others

Regards

Nishal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back