Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Basics" of Analog Circuit Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunda_bindaas

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
uyemara book

Can somebody elaborate on the "basics" that one must absolutely be aware of, to learn analog circuit design?

Let's break it down to each topic...say

1) Single Transistor Topologies

2) Diff Pair

3) Current Mirrors etc..

What is the "experienced" view on this? Does everyone begin with a paper-pencil approach or an "intuitive" understanding is sometimes enough to run a set of simulations and come up with a final design.

I find too much "analysis" cumbersome and usually go with a basic understanding of the circuit, before I start playing with the simulator....and most of the times, it works!

I would like to have thoughts from the more seasoned, "experienced" analog designers here.

Thanks

Just patient and even patient o(∩_∩)o...

I think that intuition is much more important than maths, before doing the maths I always try to understand things intuitively first. Without intuition it's very easy to be drowned in maths.

I think that simulations are a method to verify whether your intuition and maths are correct.

u get information from introductory to VLSI circuits and systems by uyemara

Blend of "intuitive" understanding and mathematical proficiency as taught by my prof....

read baker

baker is more practical than the other books.

jacob baker -- cmos

I think the book with the best intuitive explanations of analog circuits is Razavi's Design of CMOS Analog Integrated Circuits. This book really explains everything in an easily understandable intuitive way. If you want to get into the maths then I think Gray and Meyer's book is quite detailed.

read allan Hasting book and understand teh issues related to analog design

"Art of analog design "=============Allan Hasting

its really a good book, every layout eng should read this book

I gess razavi's book is a really good starting point for analog design as it gives a balanced dose of mathematics and intuition.

good teacher and good books are necessary!

Design of CMOS Analog Integrated Circuits by Razavi will be helpful.

Added after 55 seconds:

Added after 7 minutes:

In order to properly use your intuition, you need to know some things in order to keep the transistors operating properly.

Vdsat - most important, especially when cascoding, etc.
gm, rout, body effect, mos matching, cgd and cgs.

These are all simple equations, but yes - you should know them inherently. You can't guess what size mosfet you need for a given application unless you understand the limitations.

Big W and big L are great for matching, but Vdsat will be huge and gm will be low. So are you making a diff pair (good match, good gm) or a current mirror (great match, low gm, be careful about sat) or a cascode device (very loose specs) or... or...

But frankly, I usually calculate a few simple current mirrors when I start in a new process just to "get to know" the silicon. Take an hour or so to make a nice set of "generic" devices you can use for your 1uA, 3uA, 5uA standard bias current and just scale from there.

Now you are assured that every mirror in your chip is using 0.250 Vdsat (your choice, really) and it's easy to decide how much circuitry you can fit above and below them while keeping all your devices in active region.

So yeah, learn the equations before you start shooting from the hip or else you won't know how to debug problems when they come along and your fellow engineers will laugh at your design reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back