Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Long range comms ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePilot

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. I have a project where I want to make a couple of circuits that can 'talk' to each other 300 miles away. I wanted them to be wireless, but SMS (via GSM) is far to expensive ($100 rather than $10) and nothing else I know of could go the distance.

The 'talking' will be between microcontrollers and will just be a few bytes every few days. Speed and bandwidth are not a concern. As long as it can send or recieve about 5 bytes in about 10 seconds.

My next idea is to use a short distance RF link to something connected to 'something' that could then use existing phone line or internet.

The obvious answer would be to go via an existing PC then over the internet, however this would require the PC to be turned on all of the time.

Then there is a separate modem option, but I am worried that this will be annoying when one device 'dials up' another and causes the existing phone to ring in the middle of the night.

So, now my question.
I am able to do the microcontroller bit, however I have virtually no knowledge of the different technologies that will apply to me.

What would you suggest? Are there any technologies that I should be aware of, or stay away from? What would you do? Any ideas?

I am on a very tight budget, basically I want the cheapest possible, with the least hastle to users (me and a couple of friends).

Thank you for any ideas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.