Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor count of a microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

manu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
flash transistor count

Hello people,

Just because of my curiosity... About how many silicon transistors there are in a PIC microcontroller or in any microcontroller like them : Thousands, Millions? Somebody know?

I a PIC i don´t have much idea, but in a Pentium 4, about 500 million...do the math: uses about the 100-300nm technologie. Pich the total usefull area of the chip, and count then!!

PICmicros 16F and 18F series are not so complex as Pentium are. They are 8 bits processors with no cache and execute RISC, don´t have a floating point unit, etc
I read once the average number of transistor inside them but I forgot the exact number, I remember that it is less than 100 thousand and more than 20 thousand (it may depend on the size of program memory, peripherals, ports, etc).

You can count 1 transistor for each FLASH bit (i.e. a 16kB FLASH means roughly 100k transistors; plus 6 transistors for each RAM cell (i.e. 1kB RAM is roughly 50k transistors), plus roughly 20-50k transistors for the processing core and peripherals.

However, the size and type of transistors varies wildly depending on their "task". For example, the output transistors are roughly a thousand times bigger than those forming the core logic.

JW

manu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.