Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power consumption measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpjack

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
labview stpm01

I bought a device like this, which allows measuring the power consumption of electrical devices.

It's very useful, but it only display current consumption, while I'd like to be able to track some sort of daily graph. Unfortunately, any power-logger I find on internt costs hunderds or thousands of dollars, while this one costs around 40$.

So I thought: as it displays data on an LCD, could it be possible to attach a PIC circuit to it to decode numbers and store them as I prefer?

I've seen logging energy meters not much more expensive, I would try to find some of these first.

FvM said:
I've seen logging energy meters not much more expensive, I would try to find some of these first.

I googled form months, with no lucck. :cry:

sure it is possible to connect to LCD, but then you'd have to write software which would act as one...

0x41 0x56 0x45!!

I found an interesting device at german Conrad Electronic. It stores energy measurements to a memory card. Dont think that it's unique.

**broken link removed**

Freddie Chopin said:
sure it is possible to connect to LCD, but then you'd have to write software which would act as one...

0x41 0x56 0x45!!
???? :?:

you don't expect that the meter sends data to such LCD in some easy way, do you? if that is a multiplexed display you have to write the code, which will be able to decode the data stream - that software will have to act like a lcd in some way.

0x41 0x56 0x45!!

it would be just enough to make a current meter with small and precise resistor, and some simple gains. than you connect it to ADC in uC and here you go.

0x41 0x56 0x45!!

you can develop this kind of device with the help of stpm01 power measurment ic by ST

Yes, it is possible. It will require YOU to find data sheet for LCD, bring all wires to PIC and make program for it to decode signal. Whether or not it is smart thing to do, I doubt it.

In your other post, yes you can use labview acquisition module to read power meter output, but you will have to make program in LabView package. Again, it is much simpler to buy device for the job.

You already got link to meter that does what you need in Conrad Electronics. Only thing you require are adapters to be able to plug this meter into Italian power outlet and to plug your load into the meter.

Don't waste time, both yours and ours, in futile attempts to save 10 Euro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back