Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HDL guy trying to concentrate on embedded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pongetti

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am very interested in VHDL and VLSI but I have been looking at my job prospects as a recent grad in Canada and I am quite worried. There simply aren't many opportunities here for it. So I am thinking of concentrating more on general embedded programming and design. It retains a lot of the same things that got me interested in HDLs while the job prospects appear to be far, far, far greater. However, I don't have the same level of confidence in it.

Sorry for yet another annoying "teach me" thread but I was hoping someone might be kind enough to point me in the best direction for learning the absolute essentials of embedded programming/design and the special considerations that go into this particular discipline.

For example, if I could read only one book, should I pick up a book on RTOS? Embedded C? Embedded Linux? Just a general book on Embedded sytems?

I have been eyeing this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Embedded-Lin...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203463275&sr=8-1
Gets good reviews and since I could never get into using linux, it might kill two birds with one stone. But I am unsure if this is really the direction I should be taking as I want to learn in order of importance for starting my career.

Thank you very much. Your help is appreciated!

I guess programming the PIC microcontroller should be a good starting point...U may run ur demo programs in MPLAB ide(free) during which u should get a feel of embedded C too.....Linux can be taken up later ...

I am myself quite new in this field....may be others might have better suggesstions!!

Pongetti

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Actually, a couple of years I ago in school I created a robot that found its way around a room searching for and recording the frequncies of infra-red light emitters. Used a PIC processor and MPLAB.

I guess I knew something without realizing it.

In the meantime I've been reading the intro chapters to "Real-Time Concepts for Embedded Systems", doesn't seem the most detailed book but since I already know quite a bit about architecture and hardware I shouldn't need too much detail. Concepts just to connect what I know with the special considerations of this kind of work is good.

I am also thinking of combining practicing my VHDL and embedded stuff by using a soft core processor on my FPGA board for embedded development. That would be a great project but I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself!

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion and sorry again for the "I want to learn" thread, I was reading threads in the Jobs section and panicked.

Pongetti said:
I am also thinking of combining practicing my VHDL and embedded stuff by using a soft core processor on my FPGA board for embedded development. That would be a great project but I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself!

Great!!that way u will kill two birds with one stone :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back