Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is beyond infinity ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: INFINITY

wow i really enjoyed reading all the reply's GUD WORK GUYS.................especially the above PERSON!!!

INFINITY

This has turned into a philosophical thread, and after reading it I thought I should ask the OP one question which one one had raised before.

Infinity is of two types - Countable and Uncountable.

For the countable, you need to define the term cardinality. For, most operations on infinity are undefined.

Infinity is a term which changes meaning and connotation with the field.

No other technical word perhaps has application to so many fields, and thus so many connotations as Infinity.

but from where does countable and uncountable infinity come???

joe1986 said:
but from where does countable and uncountable infinity come???

countable infinity means "can be put into a one to one corespondens with the natural numbers" and uncountable means that this impossible. So the integers {..,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,...} are e.g. countable because we can make the mapping

0 -> 0
1 -> 1
2 -> -1
3 -> 2
4 -> -2

The rationals are a bit suprisingly also countable. But the real numbers are not. One way to see this is 'Cantors diagonalization argument' which goes as follows:

Assume there is a listing between the natural numbers and the relas similar to the above one, e.g

1 -> 0.000000000000000000...
2 -> 0.100000000000000000...
3 -> 0.110000000000000000...

then we can easily find a real number that is not in this list by choosing a number that differs from the first number in the first decimal place and from second in the second decimal place and from the third in the third decimal place and son on.

infinity isnt a real number , infinity means a number that is larger than the maximum number you can thought about it , actually it is a relative thing , i.e. in electron time , 1 sec may seems infinity with respect to him , while for us it is approx. zero!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back